For debate

Can you summarize a consequence of this image..... :rolleyes:

post-2-1150835700_thumb.jpg

The road is straight... RWD.... Extrapolate what consequence would result from this steering position, and why?.... just for fun :lol:

You can also invite additional parameters, to encourage different results from the same example.

This ?

tyrewear.jpg

Slight camber issue there Mark!.... But no the image displayed is a moment in time, could you offer an explanation to what will happen next?.. all parameters have been realized... what is going to happen?

If they are both pointing in by that amount will it not keep going forward until turned?

I was mowing the lawn earlier and noticed that tyre on the drivers side. When you let of the gas whilst in gear my dads car makes a horrid noise like grinding. Wasn't sure if it was the diff, i was thinking of taking it to the shop for him as he went on the train instead rather than put another 500 miles on it. I wonder where nearby does geometry alignment :rolleyes:.

Ok This example suggests an extreme condition. Since the road is straight and we have established the car is traveling at speed, we can assume the steering position will develop a reply... summarize from this imaginary example how the car would react if it was also braking?

Ok This example suggests an extreme condition. Since the road is straight and we have established the car is traveling at speed, we can assume the steering position will develop a reply... summarize from this imaginary example how the car would react if it was also braking?

Continued:- So far we have

Extreme lock

RWD

At speed

Under braking

Lets add

Front engined

Front Cambers at -1 degree each

Rear Cambers at -30 minutes each

What do you feel would happen to this car.

Extreme lock

RWD

At speed

Under braking

Lets add

Front engined

dunno what the numbers mean, but the car looks unstable and possibly will, or already has entered a spin.

Extreme lock

RWD

At speed

Under braking

Lets add

Front engined

dunno what the numbers mean, but the car looks unstable and possibly will, or already has entered a spin.

Dunno what they mean......... :o This club is crammed with information that makes sense of those numbers and respected forces :rolleyes: ..... you are on the right track though :D

Additional information.

When the front wheels turn on a lock the Camber positions move to opposites, so the wheel in view would have a positive position, but as described it is under hard braking......

Oh and by the way 'star a' your post was the 4000th in wim

post-2-1150920004_thumb.jpg

Extreme lock

RWD

At speed

Under braking

Lets add

Front engined

'Star a',stay with it you are nearly there!

Lets add a parameter and summarize

The attitude of the steering violent position (visual)

The camber compression (now opposite)

The inertia (Theoretical)

The Geometry positions (Factual)

The Kinetic force (Theoretical)

The Roll centre (for Debate)

Remember this example is for fun (factual) so 'No one' is wrong :rolleyes:

bet the car doesn't feel safe to go over 5 mph anyway, all feel will have been lost and maybe a lot of vibration too

Remember the position you see is a (moment in time) All the parameters are visible and the car is traveling at speed.... Nothing is bent, what you see is the steering position -ver- the descriptions listed above.

Analise the parameters, forces in all four dimensions, then extrapolate the outcome :huh:

Can you summarize a consequence of this image..... <_<

The road is straight... RWD.... Extrapolate what consequence would result from this steering position, and why?.... just for fun :)

You can also invite additional parameters, to encourage different results from the same example.

Bump

Come on team wim, without the need to explain why (what) do you think is going to happen to the car in the image?

Can you summarize a consequence of this image..... :blink:

The road is straight... RWD.... Extrapolate what consequence would result from this steering position, and why?.... just for fun :D

Bump

Come on team wim, without the need to explain why (what) do you think is going to happen to the car in the image?

Ok seemingly we still have some work to do understanding this Geometry lark....... Last chance... From all the parameters above extrapolate what is going to happen...... Then i will conclude with my thoughts to see if you agree..... I may be wrong :D

Extreme lock

RWD

At speed

Under braking

Lets add

Front engined

'Star a',stay with it you are nearly there!

Lets add a parameter and summarize

The attitude of the steering violent position (visual)

The camber compression (now opposite)

The inertia (Theoretical)

The Geometry positions (Factual)

The Kinetic force (Theoretical)

The Roll centre (for Debate)

Remember this example is for fun (factual) so 'No one' is wrong :D

Answer: Violent over-steer resulting in a 360 spin or three....... Lesson over. If anyone is interested back track and try to image the forces and positions involved, imagine yourself as an accident investigator and see if you conclude the same out come...... i may be wrong :D

I'm new to this, other than knowing that there is something wrong with my cars setup but that the local garages don't know how to fix it.

So from the picture....

Steering wheel looks to be straight.

Suspension looks unloaded

Perspective makes judging the tyre's direction difficult. It could be straight ahead.

So:- the car just went airborne and is about to land with a bump?

I'm new to this, other than knowing that there is something wrong with my cars setup but that the local garages don't know how to fix it.

Take it to the Dr Bones surgery im sure he can help you :(

So from the picture....

Steering wheel looks to be straight.

Suspension looks unloaded

Perspective makes judging the tyre's direction difficult. It could be straight ahead.

So:- the car just went airborne and is about to land with a bump?

Hello IanF welcome to wim..... the answer for this particular condition is now visible a few posts above this one....

Your car..... what's wrong?.... start a new thread and lets see if we can conclude your problems.... also you are immediately able to post pictures here in wim, so if this helps you then please do.