New tyres for my Lex.. some Q's

jiberjaber

So the Lex has received a couple of warnings on the MOT, the two rears are low and need replacing. Currently there are Bridgestone Protenza RE040 all round, but I have heard some good news about the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetrics.

A couple of questions I need a bit of help on.

Can I fit a pair of asymetrics on the rear and still keep the directional bridgestones on the front?

My tyres are 215/45/17 but I have seen that 225/45/17 (XL's) are around the same price, any advantages in the increase in size?

Cheers in advance ;)

The Assaymetrics are superb without question..... Mixing them with directionals is not ideal but many people do without problems in fact some car manufacturers do this from new, namely Jag and Merc.

Fitting a 225mm would effect the speedo and handling to some degree so i wouldn't recommend it.... We do the 215mm for £105 fully fitted inc vat.

Great to catch up with you today Tony - the facility looks great and the lads all friendly and efficient. I think you have yourself a good crew there! :rolleyes:

I did notice that there was some back end oscilation on the drive home, kind of like being buffeted by a strong wind, the effect increased with speed (70+ onwards) - I assume this is tyres need to scrub in, but I can't remember feeling that before on new back tyres. I'll keep an eye on it over the next few weeks.

Any ideas if it is the tyre newness?

Great to catch up with you today Tony - the facility looks great and the lads all friendly and efficient. I think you have yourself a good crew there! :rolleyes:

I did notice that there was some back end oscilation on the drive home, kind of like being buffeted by a strong wind, the effect increased with speed (70+ onwards) - I assume this is tyres need to scrub in, but I can't remember feeling that before on new back tyres. I'll keep an eye on it over the next few weeks.

Any ideas if it is the tyre newness?

I would say yes.... Although it's possible they don't like the 36psi so it might be worth dropping this to 34psi just for testing.

OK, checked the tyre pressures, the Tesco machine was showing them at 35, so I dropped them down to 34. Still the same feel though. It is as though the shocks have gone, i.e. if I move the stearing left / right whilst in motion, the rear "wallows" around if you know what I mean! Very puzzled! I checked the shocks and they come straight up and stop when pushed down, bushes maybe?

OK, checked the tyre pressures, the Tesco machine was showing them at 35, so I dropped them down to 34. Still the same feel though. It is as though the shocks have gone, i.e. if I move the stearing left / right whilst in motion, the rear "wallows" around if you know what I mean! Very puzzled! I checked the shocks and they come straight up and stop when pushed down, bushes maybe?

I don't see why the bushings were ok before, how many miles have they done now?

I have done about 120miles since fitting and the car is on 50K and a bit.

Could it be the tyres having *more* grip than before and therefore if you swing the car around a bit it has a similar effect to trying to drive with the handbrake on (i.e. all the movement is in the suspension) ? It feels a bit like a boat at the moment!

I have done about 120miles since fitting and the car is on 50K and a bit.

Could it be the tyres having *more* grip than before and therefore if you swing the car around a bit it has a similar effect to trying to drive with the handbrake on (i.e. all the movement is in the suspension) ? It feels a bit like a boat at the moment!

I'm on unknown territory now so nervous to advise..... Logic fails to see why the new tyres has highlighted worn suspension but all the descriptions you have made indicates the dampers have an issue.

I have back tracked on the fitment and calibration and there's no problem there..... Historically once the chassis is set the IS is stable so i'm at a loss.

I'm tempted to say come back for a re-check but your not exactly around the corner plus i have 100% confidence of our equipment and quality control so a re-check would simply be that rather than a solution.

Maybe give the new tyres some miles to scrub-in then we can re-assess our options.

Could it be that the tyres have more play/slightly softer in the side wall than the ones you had on before....thats why it feels as if the car is squating more in corners coz the tyre wall is softer and flexing more.? :lol:

Could it be that the tyres have more play/slightly softer in the side wall than the ones you had on before....thats why it feels as if the car is squating more in corners coz the tyre wall is softer and flexing more.? :lol:

Possibally (shrug) I don't really know, on paper all looks good but there is an obvious issue.

The thing is that manafacturers spend loads of time on how the car handles with the suspension/tyres etc....Thats why " most " of the timei try to stick with the OEM tyres....im just guessing that if you change from OEM ones that maybe it could upset the car.... ;)

I could be totaly wrong... :)

OEM Lexus ones were Dunlop SP 9000 ( Japan Made ) then dunlop discontinued them.Now they use Dunlop Sport Maxx OR SP 9090`s ( Japan )...and also Bridgstone potenza REO40`s ( i think ) ....i believe that these have a slightly stiffer side wall construction..

What bothers me is other Lex's run on them with nothing but praise to say about the handling ;)

Yeah i know Tony thats why i find it a bit strange...everyone really rates them on LOC.. :) ..maybe it would make any difference if you swap the Bridgestones on the front with the Goodyear`s on the back....? :) just to see what that does.?

Unfortunatly I don't think I will have time to swap the front to back at the moment as I am stuck in a hotel in birmingham.

Tony, do you think it would be worth me swinging by on friday to stick it on the ramp, it wouldn't be too much of a detour, say around 15h00?

Yes that would be a good idea, let's look it over again anything could have happened like a blown damper?

Could it be that the tyres have more play/slightly softer in the side wall than the ones you had on before....thats why it feels as if the car is squating more in corners coz the tyre wall is softer and flexing more.? :D

Bridgestone do have noticeably stiff sidewalls.

Could it be that the tyres have more play/slightly softer in the side wall than the ones you had on before....thats why it feels as if the car is squating more in corners coz the tyre wall is softer and flexing more.? :D

Bridgestone do have noticeably stiff sidewalls.

I agree but the F1A is XL.