Recommended reading?

89mustang

Hi

Can anyone recommend any good books on wheel alignment/ suspension geometry theory. I am interested in finding out the effects of caster, camber, toe changes and the effects on handling, also anti roll bar effects (ie thinner or thicker bars front and rear, and uprating or downrating each one)?

Thanks in advance.

Hi

Can anyone recommend any good books on wheel alignment/ suspension geometry theory. I am interested in finding out the effects of caster, camber, toe changes and the effects on handling, also anti roll bar effects (ie thinner or thicker bars front and rear, and uprating or downrating each one)?

Thanks in advance.

I found this page quite good

http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/theory/align.html

Welcome to wim

Another tool is to check Hunter or Supertrackers web sites since they sell training DVD's for Geometry calibration complimenting kinematics.... Heads up though, go for the advanced level the others are pre-school.

• 3 weeks later...
Welcome to wim

Another tool is to check Hunter or Supertrackers web sites since they sell training DVD's for Geometry calibration complimenting kinematics.... Heads up though, go for the advanced level the others are pre-school.

Thanks for the advise, will investigate further. Good to talk to you the other day, Tony, re Geo's up north!

Welcome to wim

Thanks for the advise, will investigate further. Good to talk to you the other day, Tony, re Geo's up north!

Indeed..... I just sent you a pm on the very topic.

Fundamentally the issue i have is "trusted centres" around the midlands. In the past Drury lane service station held the Barton but their prices have shot though the roof recently and i'm not happy about that.

Your company was mentioned in MX5oc and i was asked to contact you and form some sort confidence for the owners, hence my call.

All the boxes are ticked in my opinion and the fact you joined wim some time ago shows you are interested in advancing your knowledge for your customers.... I tip my hat to that!!

I can link you to the threads in the other clubs as a "head's up" in case of a call and i recommend you forget about books since they tend to be based on old suspension dynamics.... even redundant by today's standards.

89mustang has a geo company up north?

I wish! I work for someone else, but I have been doing wheel alignment in Bolton Lancs for about 10 years, and I am still learning!

wim's been watching his company/ employ for some time> http://www.nigellangsgarage.co.uk/profile.htm for positive reasons.

Drury lane used to cover North/ Mids for wim but not any more.

Before anyone suggests it.... They are not a franchise and we do not have any financial arrangement, only a professional one.

Welcome to wim

You wouldn't happen to have any links would you ? Can't find anythong other than online vids and I'm still in the stone age (56k).

Welcome to wim

You wouldn't happen to have any links would you ? Can't find anythong other than online vids and I'm still in the stone age (56k).

Supertracker used to sell training CD's...... Your Hunter machine doesn't that have "video tech" and "on the job training"?

Yeah but I don't get anytime to watch stuff like that when I'm at work (unless it relates directly to something I'm doing).

But it is your work.....

I honestly feel the best way to understand what you need to know is to see what you don't understand.

The video tech is a great tool, maybe watch the section on KIP/SAI and you could think WTF then ask the question here "KPI what's that all about?"

And we can advance you on that topic :D

Had a quiet day in work today so spent some time watching OTJ training movies.

"Borrowed" the Hunter DVDs so I can have them at home too. Got a fantastic night sifting through ~200 .avi files over 5 discs. A workmate wants the Geo database so I'll have to try and copy that too.

Had a quiet day in work today so spent some time watching OTJ training movies.

"Borrowed" the Hunter DVDs so I can have them at home too. Got a fantastic night sifting through ~200 .avi files over 5 discs. A workmate wants the Geo database so I'll have to try and copy that too.

post-2-1220810331.jpg

When did that happen as I've still been recommending them on MEG for members up North? :lol:

When their prices went up 50% :lol:

I have agreed a good price and worked with> http://www.nigellangsgarage.co.uk/profile.htm over the last month or so and i'm very impressed with them.

When did that happen as I've still been recommending them on MEG for members up North? :lol:

When their prices went up 50% :lol:

I have agreed a good price and worked with> http://www.nigellangsgarage.co.uk/profile.htm over the last month or so and i'm very impressed with them.

I see...so shall I plug these guys from now on?

When their prices went up 50% :P

I see...so shall I plug these guys from now on?

Yes please :glare: :lol:

• 6 months later...
Sorry to dig this up but does anyone know if they would do or have done BMW Z4's before? Specifically the Z4 M Roadster (M3 engined Z4).

Yes I can do a Z4 for you, but not til Wednesday at the earliest, having a bit of r & r over Easter.

Give us a ring on 01204 392995 and let us know when you wnt it doing and what specifications you want, ie standard or your own or a set from Tony.

Pete

Ahh your from the garage. :D

I'd be after a stock check/setup if you have or can get the specs.....but i'll have a look in the meantime online for the stock settings.

I believe the Z4 runs quite a bit of negative camber as standard, dont know if this is true or not but it seems to be wearing the inners of the tyre more than the outers.

Also although the car drives straight and true when you let go of the wheel it pulls left, i've read of this before on Z4's and something about tweaking something in the 5 little holes that are on the alloys? Sounds odd to me!

I'm getting new rear tyres fitted next week but will be keeping the fronts (3mm left above the wear marker).