BMW >2005 front camber adjustment

Tony

The manufacturing of the pre 05 located the front struts with a guide tab that sets the camber position... If there is a need to adjust the front camber the lug just needs hitting with a punch to remove it.

Post 05 the lug has been replaced with a "snap lug" that needs turning clockwise via a poxy 4mm Alan key.

post-2-1216758050.jpg

post-2-1216758074.jpg

Since the tab is alloy it obviously rounds immediately and cannot be knocked through without bending the top mount.....

Best advice is to drop the strut from the turret, remove the gasket and spacer/s then you should have enough room to grab the tab with molgrips..... Failing that find a cat and kick it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Has anyone managed to source the tool for the actual adjustment ? Or an equivilant ?

To my knowledge there's no tool needed, you use the Hunter and there's no tool prompt is there.

Saying that do you adjust "wheels raised"?.... It's possible that there's a tool to adjust "wheels down?"

I'll scan the print out but our kit states somekind of rachet affair that sits atop of the strut.

I try and do everything "wheels down", if I can.

In a perfect world i agree but to have every special tool for every car ever made is costly B) that's why any decent Geometry machine has the wheels raised option.

Oh I agree and wouldn't normally bother but I'd wager every 3 of 5 alignments we do are 3-series BMWs.

I checked the machine today and found the tool and part number if you want it..... or easy option is this>

post-2-1220387507.jpg

It says "wheels off" but it's also the adjust raised option.

• 2 weeks later...

See it's easy once you approach the task in hand without feeling intimidated.

I assume the front run out of neg adjustment? in that case i wouldn't have gone so deep at the rear just to maintain the sports neutral properties, at the mo she's boarder under-steer.

I assume the front run out of neg adjustment? in that case i wouldn't have gone so deep at the rear just to maintain the sports neutral properties, at the mo she's boarder under-steer.

No, it was an end-of-day rush job so I was pushed for time.

Toe and Camber were symmetrical across the front axle so I was reasonably content to leave it as was.

Would you have stayed within BMW tolerance or gone further to a neutral angle btw?

No, it was an end-of-day rush job so I was pushed for time.

Toe and Camber were symmetrical across the front axle so I was reasonably content to leave it as was.

Would you have stayed within BMW tolerance or gone further to a neutral angle btw?

That's what i was saying.... I would have backed the rear off, at the moment the car has a push corner in.