Rubbing on full lock

This owner of a Volvo S60 has gone from pillar to post trying to stop both front wheels from rubbing on full lock

post-2-1215631258.jpg

Most places said it was the Alignment and initially the owner paid for adjustments but to no avail.

Other suggestions were to change the tyre size? or replace the rack? and one even suggested the car needs to go on a jig!!

He did some desperate searching online and ended up at wim..... The reason for the rubbing is the "lock stops"..... As seen here fitted to the front of the lower wishbone.

post-2-1215631520.jpg

Due to the camber/ castor relationship on the corner the "stop" is fitted to maintain the maximum lock angle, without the stop to steering wouldn't return.

post-2-1215631780.jpg

All we had to do is remove the stops and to save the customer some money we swapped them side-to-side..... Job done :D

See simple solution to another person`s problem.....all could not find the problem..... except WIM....hence why any probs i have with my cars in the future im always going to WIM....... :)

Bet he was well chuffed to have the problem sorted... :)

See simple solution to another person`s problem.....all could not find the problem..... except WIM....hence why any probs i have with my cars in the future im always going to WIM....... :)

Bet he was well chuffed to have the problem sorted... :)

It's that "looking outside of the box" area again.... Looking at the complaint i assumed the Alignment was ok and logic knew the steering rack or chassis damage couldn't make the tyres rub on both locks....one lock yes but defo not both.

Now i'm not familiar with every steering/ suspension/ chassis combination but simulating the lock and looking found the reason.

Anyway i was well chuffed since he bought four tyres :)