Good caster with P5 Puredrive shocks on mk1 MX5

steve b

Tony mentioned when I had my alignment done on Friday that MX5's with the P5 Puredrive coilovers seem to acheive better caster than other setups, I was thinking about this and could it be as simple as the mk2 top mounts being used that replace the mk1 items, the mk2 mounts are much thinner, so effectively the fixing point of the damper shaft is "higher" in the car?

Could be right...... I'm going to think on that one.....

Fact is "every" car that has Puredrive suspension fitted has had a high, healthy castor... This does against the grain of a lowered car and has left me ? to why the PD suspension kit allows this.

Even Phil is unsure..... If i knew exactly how i would sell it :mellow:

• 1 month later...

A bit of feed back post trackday, very happy, car gripped very, very well, very neutral which is what I was after.

I gave a couple of passenger rides to two of the WIM sponsored MX5 "hornet" from planetmx5 / cobham common drivers and had a comment that my car felt more planted and I was able to carry much higher cornering speeds in it. The cars obviously faster as it has about 120bhp more being turbo'd but cornering speed shouldn't be really effected by that. I was running regular road tyres in the same size. Only difference was that car had the WIM trackday geometry whereas I just have " WIM fast road" & of course the P5 coilovers, ride height looked about the same.

Thought this maybe of interest.

Excellent feed back Steve..... It's good the other drivers felt the difference with the PD suspension since they are all running the same wim calibration (more-or-less)

You said the car felt neutral... could you still obtain power over-steer if needed.. and does the car feel progressive indicating a grip limit?

Reason i ask is that the car needs to be progressive before the grip limit is saturated, if not then it's "bush time" for the driver.

Excellent feed back Steve..... It's good the other drivers felt the difference with the PD suspension since they are all running the same wim calibration (more-or-less)

You said the car felt neutral... could you still obtain power over-steer if needed.. and does the car feel progressive indicating a grip limit?

Reason i ask is that the car needs to be progressive before the grip limit is saturated, if not then it's "bush time" for the driver.

Initially I had a bit of understeer on power and what I felt too much body roll from the rear but I stiffened the rear dampers up one click from the suggested settings and left the front alone and this balanced it nicely. I was suprised how early I could get on the power exiting bends, remembering I have well over 200bhp at the wheels with 195's that was very impressive, I certainly didn't have to wait until I was straight. If I was brutal with the throttle very early then I'm sure the back would come round. Playing on roundabouts if I floor it then I get a fraction of understeer that does progressively change to oversteer with boost. back certainly doesn't brake away easily.

I only overcooked it once on track where I out broke myself entering a fast bend far to fast, I was still having to brake while turning :o to be honest I almost still got round but ran out of talent, much more (totally) my fault than anything to do with the car (looking at the rubber on the track the front inside I'd locked up and whilst turning it had left a dotted line getting about 1/3 round the turn).

On track turn in coming off the brakes is excellent.