I think I have a handling problem with my Mazda MX5 Mk3

Hi all,

This is my first post here, so please be gentle with me!

I don't know much about how cars work, but I could swear that the handling of my MX5 has changed since I've owned it.

In general, it feels soft when going around corners, feels like its rolling more than it used to, and sometimes it feels like the traction control is kicking in, even though the TC light on the dashboard isn't coming on at all.

I've asked about it on a few MX5 forums, and one suggestion has been that I am in need of new shocks. So I took it to a KwikFit, they bounced it on each corner, then took it for a test drive. They said there was nothing wrong with it, but suggested that I could take it back the next day for them to have a "proper" look at it. It wasn't till then that sense came over me, and I declined the offer.

So I've ended up here on the WIM forum, because just about everybody on the MX5 forums seem to worship Tony and his wizardry talents.

I'd be straight round to have it looked at, but WIM is about a couple of hours drive away, and I've been trying to find a more local expert, with mixed results. As soon as somebody says that a garage is top notch, somebody else says it's rubbish. WIM seems to be the only squeeky clean outfit in the country!

Can anybody please offer me any advice with my problem?

Many thanks in advance...

Well for starters.... you shouldn't have bought a Mk3 :lol: (sorry couldn't resist)

TBH on a serious note, there are a few 'problems' with the Mk3's 'boat like' tendancies and your best bet is to take the trip up to Tony :D

I assume you have the "as sold" suspension height?

The roll effect you are experiencing has nothing to do with the dampers... It's more likely the raised centre of gravity and a deterioration of the Geometry calibration.

I have had other owners say the handling had deteriorated since they first bought the car. The reason for this is the "as sold" calibration is wrong so the stresses at the suspension and bushings rapidly displaces the Geometry.

A calibration will solve your problem, if you need correct data for your cars particular body height i can supply that but we will need to talk first since i need some information from you.

I assume you have the "as sold" suspension height?

The roll effect you are experiencing has nothing to do with the dampers... It's more likely the raised centre of gravity and a deterioration of the Geometry calibration.

I have had other owners say the handling had deteriorated since they first bought the car. The reason for this is the "as sold" calibration is wrong so the stresses at the suspension and bushings rapidly displaces the Geometry.

A calibration will solve your problem, if you need correct data for your cars particular body height i can supply that but we will need to talk first since i need some information from you.

Hi Tony,

I think it is the "as sold" suspension height, as it looks like there's too much room under the wheel arches.

It has been suggested that I get it lowered, namely using eibach springs, mainly by other MX5 forum'ers. But, I'm concerned about the cost (obviously), the prospect of a more bone-shaking ride, and the possibility that the car then may be too low (and then the further cost when grounding it on a speedbump). Allthough, I gather the factory setup is only about 30mm too high, and that doesn't seem a lot considering how high it looks now. Is this correct, or do I mis-remember the 30mm? And would it make much difference in handling?

I used to have a MX5 Mk2 previously, and that seemed a bit lower, and handling seemed better too. I don't suppose you happen to know how the two compare for road clearance? If the lowered Mk3 is no lower than the Mk2, then I'd give it some serious consideration.

Fitting the lowering springs is simply "correcting" the body trim, so technically not a modification beyond the cars limits.

Cost is a factor for most owners so i suggest you follow the path of calibration for your cars particular trim height... Other than the look and the roll centre the car will handle exemplary.

Fitting the lowering springs is simply "correcting" the body trim, so technically not a modification beyond the cars limits.

Cost is a factor for most owners so i suggest you follow the path of calibration for your cars particular trim height... Other than the look and the roll centre the car will handle exemplary.

So the car will handle much better with just a calibration?

So the car will handle much better with just a calibration?

Yep..... Some owners who bought springs when they were cheap, decided not to fit them after the car was calibrated :D

• 2 years later...

This reply is a bit late now but in case anyone else has a handling problem with a mk3 MX-5:

DO NOT PUT LOW BUDGET TYRES ON THE REAR !!!!

You will get away with it on the front (up to a point) but not on the rear.

The performance will be almost unbelievably poor! It is really shocking at how much difference it makes to the handling.

I certainly agree that the recommended Michelins are used.