Best engine ever made ? (out of the box)

So

what do you say is the best engine ever produced ?

Not the most tuneable but , for its time, advanced efficient nice to look at ?

Jag XKE ?

nice to look at ?? ................you weirdo :oneeyed02:

So

Jag XKE ?

nice to look at ?? ................you weirdo :oneeyed02:

ever seen a new alfa V6.................truly a thing of beauty :wub:

So

Jag XKE ?

Buick 215 .........later affectionately known as the Rover V8 :oneeyed02:

So

Jag XKE ?

Buick 215 .........later affectionately known as the Rover V8 :oneeyed02:

nice choice light & tuneable................

Blimey i was going to say Rover V8 but didn't in case i got beaten up :oneeyed02:

As most know i'm not exactly current news when it comes to engines but i do like the look of the Rover V8..... As seen in this MX5 transplant.

post-2-1207168328.jpg

Even an engine numpty like me can appreciate the beauty if this :wub:

The F20C in the s2000 for ability (roller rockers, forged shallow skirt pistons, ladder frame main bearing stiffener and fibre reinforced aluminium for the cylinders etc) or perhaps the S65B40 in the e92 m3. Over 100bhp/litre in a NA V8.

Its gotta be the 2JZ GTE i love it.

Or maybe one of the crazy high revving honda engines maybe the K20 or the FD2 probably one of the highest outputs for its capacity usually around or over the 100hp per litre. (the old B16 was a good little engine as well 1.6 and 160hp :oneeyed02: )

Its gotta be the 2JZ GTE i love it.

Or maybe one of the crazy high revving honda engines maybe the K20 or the FD2 probably one of the highest outputs for its capacity usually around or over the 100hp per litre. (the old B16 was a good little engine as well 1.6 and 160hp :oneeyed02: )

The f20c is ~113bhp / litre na iirc. When you look at the S65B40 that's 105bhp / litre but more impressive IMO as you get greater parasitic losses the more cylinders you bolt on and that has twice as many as the honda lump and a much healthier torque curve.

I'm a big fan of the S65B40, it sounds great too.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I will probably get beaten up for saying this, but what about some of the amazing diesel engines that are out now?

Loads of torque, good levels of improved refinement and with a remap possible to get get good gains. I volunteer the BMW M57N which when it came out in 2003 was miles better then the equivalent Audi or Merc offerings.

The new BMW diesel engines fitted into the 335d, 535d, 635d is also mightily impressive. Twin turbo diesel, 286bhp stock and then remappable quite safely to 340 - 350bhp and over 520ft/lb torque and will do 40mpg! ;)

Petrol wise I would say the Aristo/Supra 2JZ or the engine in the Skyline. The 2litre block in the Mitsubishi Evo range is impressive too. :o

I will probably get beaten up for saying this, but what about some of the amazing diesel engines that are out now?

Loads of torque, good levels of improved refinement and with a remap possible to get get good gains. I volunteer the BMW M57N which when it came out in 2003 was miles better then the equivalent Audi or Merc offerings.

The new BMW diesel engines fitted into the 335d, 535d, 635d is also mightily impressive. Twin turbo diesel, 286bhp stock and then remappable quite safely to 340 - 350bhp and over 520ft/lb torque and will do 40mpg! ;)

Petrol wise I would say the Aristo/Supra 2JZ or the engine in the Skyline. The 2litre block in the Mitsubishi Evo range is impressive too. :o

I have to agree, Diesel engines have only had around half the development time of the pertol engine so i think that we'll be seeing some really meaty performance degals out soon (Audi R10 or whatever its called), just ashame they dont rev so much, apparently honda are trying to develop a Vtec degal so tthat migth even happen aswel.

Strange thought but Desiel F1 maybe ??? LoL

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
So

Jag XKE ?

A collection of motoring professionals came up with the following list of best engines, but as Nissan’s 3.8-litre twin-turbo engine used in the new GT-R isn't in the list I suspect they may have been a little biased towards the that Company from Bavaria. :crying_anim: ,

International Engine of the Year Awards 2008: Winners

Best New Engine of 2008

BMW 2.0-litre Diesel Twin-Turbo (123d)

Green Engine of the Year

Toyota 1.5-litre Hybrid Synergy Drive (Prius)

Best Performance Engine

Porsche 3.6-litre Turbo (911 Turbo, 911 GT2)

Sub 1.0-litre

Toyota 1.0-litre (Aygo, Yaris, Peugeot 107, Citroën C1, Subaru Justy)

1.0-litre to 1.4-litre

Volkswagen 1.4-litre TSI Twincharger (Golf, Touran, Tiguan, Jetta)

1.4-litre to 1.8-litre

BMW-PSA 1.6-litre Turbo (MINI Cooper S, Clubman, Peugeot 207, 308)

1.8-litre to 2.0-litre

Volkswagen/Audi 2.0-litre Turbo (A3, A4 Cabrio, A6, TT, Eos, Jetta, Golf GTi, Seat Altea, Leon, Skoda Octavia)

2.0-litre to 2.5-litre

Subaru 2.5-litre Turbo (Forester, Impreza, Outback, Legacy)

2.5-litre to 3.0-litre

BMW 3.0-litre Twin-Turbo (135, 335, X6)

3.0-litre to 4.0-litre

BMW 4.0-litre V8 (M3)

Above 4.0-litre

BMW 5.0-litre V10 (M5, M6)

International Engine of the Year 2008

BMW 3.0-litre Twin-Turbo (135, 335, X6)

Biased as I have an s2000 but for me most 'real' vtec engines. I'm talking the f20c, k20a and b18c... Found in the s2000, dc5 itr and dc2 itr.

I don't think for the sound they make anything short of a v8 from a 355 with a tubi system sounds better !

Airbox lid off on my s2000 and you outsing most cars through induction noise alone ! I fondly remember the look of horror on a 550 Ferrari owners face as I went past :-D