Glowing turbo

Tony

Yes you absolutely could but the level of heat energy involved would soon heat the ceramic and you'd be back to radiating heat, the simplest way to address the issue is to isolate the turbo and heavily lag sensitive components in the proximity. We use a special Goodrich lagging that is designed to protect wiring in foundry machines from molten metal strikes :) it cost's around £60per meter

I stand to be corrected but I doubt any mass production manufacturer would allow those sort of extremes.

The turbo on my MR2 has only ever slightly glowed once and that was after a lot of abuse at well over stock boost levels.

post-2-1203939995.jpg

In my quest to understand turbos i keep seeing this type of image.... Is this really how hot the turbo runs :) If yes then how on earth do you shield satellite components?

Properly and completely :D

Could it just be a thermal image?

This http://www.ir55.com/images/1utc_ewiurywiueryw8972349.jpg is a bowl of hot water, not a ladle of molten metal . . . . . :)

post-2-1203939995.jpg

In my quest to understand turbos i keep seeing this type of image.... Is this really how hot the turbo runs :) If yes then how on earth do you shield satellite components?

Properly and completely :D

Could it just be a thermal image?

This http://www.ir55.com/images/1utc_ewiurywiueryw8972349.jpg is a bowl of hot water, not a ladle of molten metal . . . . . :)

Your so surgical....... Love it :)

I guess there's no reason why it couldn't be a thermal image but why bother? Turbo's really do glow like that.

I will take your word for that, never having seen one operating, but I must say that I find the colours very surprising.

Of course every body at a temperature above absolute zero emits thermal radiation and if we use some kind of photo-detector we can make the revealed colours pretty much what we like. So I'm naturally careful not to assume that any picture is necessarily showing what my eyes would see.

I used to design small gas turbines, driven by the products of combustion of cordite, but it is a long time ago. I seem to recall that exhaust gas temperatures are normally kept below 700 Celsius and I wouldn't expect that sort of temperature to give more than a dull red glow. The kind of bright orange/yellow colours that we see in the picture would, from memory, imply temperatures in excess of 1000 Celsius and maybe considerably more.

Perhaps I have my figures wrong. As I said, my experience was a long time ago. I would be interested to hear some current figures so that I can update myself. I worried a bit when I was writing this about whether I was confusing my temperature scales, but I don't think so. I recall from my apprentice days that even the gentlest of red glows from a piece of steel needs about 1000 degrees Fahrenheit.

I guess there's no reason why it couldn't be a thermal image but why bother? Turbo's really do glow like that.

I will take your word for that, never having seen one operating, but I must say that I find the colours very surprising.

if you have a few minutes click on the youtube link i posted above (post #8) :)

if you have a few minutes click on the youtube link i posted above (post #8) :D

Looks scary :)