Horror of the week 2-2-08

Tony

scenario, the owner had bad inside front tyre wear so he had the dealer correct the Geometry....... After a thousand miles or so the tyres become violently worn so he had them replace the tyres and calibrate the car again...

Seven thousand miles later he had this..

post-2-1201965575.jpg

post-2-1201965602.jpg

Horrified the owner changed the tyres again and asked the for the calibration to be tested.... For some reason the front Toe was toed out 9mm and the dealer insisted he must have hit something. My argument here is that each front wheel had an even share of the Toe so i dispute the "hit something logic".

What was also amazing is according to them a main reason for the wear was under inflation :lol: Additionally they set the calibration again and again they set it wrong B)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

that's shocking :huh: even on my car with the geo well out i have had no real tyre were issuse's. that must of been a horrid drive too.so will the people who set it up get the bill for 2 new tyre's and the geo cost's??

surely with that amount of toe out the customer must know the car felt wrong straight off the bat? or am I missing something regarding IS200 handling??

Well no.... reason being the cars Geometry was already dire so the new tyres probably made things feel better... As i said this customer is a real live wire so he had the sense to insist after the last Geometry he was given a report... What was really odd is that Lexus set the car to this.....

Rear

Camber. 0.00

Toe. 0.00

Front

Camber. 0.00

Toe. 0.00

Not only does this detract from the factory settings but in my opinion it's impossible... Even i cannot set four wheels within 1/10th of a millimetre or 1/100 of a degree decimal, one or two wheels yes but not four?

do I take it that the dealership just scribbled some numbers down with 0 written on them hoping that the customer be happy?!?!...also for the record I've never seen a car with 0 toe and camber in the rear either lol...any chance of telling us what the measurement you got off the car to tell us how it managed to scrub the tyres like that??

do I take it that the dealership just scribbled some numbers down with 0 written on them hoping that the customer be happy?!?!...also for the record I've never seen a car with 0 toe and camber in the rear either lol...any chance of telling us what the measurement you got off the car to tell us how it managed to scrub the tyres like that??

For the record the Subaru with a near perfect chassis has 0.00 toe and camber more or less....

What i measured on this car was after the fact... Meaning the dealer was given another chance to resolve the calibration, (and got it wrong again)

When the latest report came back with 0.00 toe and camber front and rear the owner become suspicious, hence our meet.

The solution now is for the report from the dealer before the latest tyres were fitted. Until now this was denied but with a little wim education the dealer now has to offer this belated report, and Mr live-wire is absolutely well on the case :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Update

Chris the owner of this example is going full out with Lexus over this.... Even Watch Dog are in the frame :D

He has opened a complaint list in LOC> http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...c=48284&hl= so it you are a victim of front tyre wear on the Lexus IS200/300/sc please add your name to the list....

I think the one or two hundred reports i have may add argument to his case..

post-2-1203251663.jpg

What i really admire is he is not looking for compensation he's looking for Justice :P

Update

Mr Live wire has hit a blank with the dealers who categorically deny there is a problem with their work or the IS200 in general.

A reminder of the tyre wear>

post-2-1203630491.jpg

Tonight i was sent his letter to the chairman of Lexus GB that asks for justice for all IS200/300 owners. I will paste this once the final construction is agreed.

Top gear have been involved in this topic and surprisingly have shown interest ;) ..... It looks like Mr live wire may have struck a nerve!

Hopefully something will come of it then although I'd imagine it will be a slow process.

How they can deny there is a problem is beyond me, the photos speak for themselves! ;)

Liability and litigation costs money..... Denial is free despite the evidence hence the locked doors....

This owner will not let this go because he wants nothing more than justice.... Not money or compensation... Justice!! People like him are hard to shut up.... Personally i say "top respect" since all his time will bear justice for others.

I'm watching this thread with interest

He has written to the Director of Lexus GB recorded delivery.... I have seen the letter, it's very good. Additionally he was in contact with Dunlop to ascertain how much rubber is between a bald tyre and the wire... seemingly it's 3mm.

Dunlop have seen this thread and asked Mr Live wire for the tyres and they will refund him all expenses? I have no idea why since Dunlop were never to blame, although this image of their tyres is not good for business.

Dunlop have seen this thread and asked Mr Live wire for the tyres and they will refund him all expenses? I have no idea why since Dunlop were never to blame, although this image of their tyres is not good for business.

Maybe they didn't want him to be out of pocket...very noble of them I'd say :P

Maybe they didn't want him to be out of pocket...very noble of them I'd say :P

It has nothing to do with Dunlop though.... I think they can tell he is going for gold with his case and they don't want their tyres on public display.

• 2 weeks later...
I think Fifth Gear would take a deep interest in this story as they do this kind of thing (yes I know it's not the best motoring program in England) but it would get more notice for people!

The thread is generating huge attention in the owners club> http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...t=0&start=0

• 1 month later...