Mapping

Mapping is more accurately called "calibration" in professional environments.

I guess the term "mapping" originated from the process of calibrating the values of the fuel and ignition "maps". I tend to use the word "mapping" only when communicating with the general public as there seems to be a basic understand of the meaning which avoids additional explanation or confusion if I were to use the industry standard nomenclature "calibration".

On a very basic level, the idea is to alter the fuel and ignition values to achieve a different priority than the original manufacturer had.

For example, a standard ecu is often calibrated to prioritise emmissions, low grade fuel, low exhaust gas temperatures (to extend cat life), and use with standard engine components. People that prioritise performance (and even economy) will need to recalibrate the ecu to achieve these goals.

Most ecu's nowadays cannot be "chipped" ie the process of replacing the original fuel and ignition control EPROM with another that has been recalibrated, so that leaves the options of a re-flash (a software download through the diagnostics port to the standard ecu), a piggy back ecu that intercepts the fuel and ignition signals and send them back modified, or a stand alone ecu.

What is worth mentioning as it may not be common knowledge is that any ecu, reflash, chip etc etc that has not been calibrated individually on your own car is seriously compromised so it may or may not work. The majority of re-flashes, chips, ecu's etc that are offered contain data that has been optimised for someone elses car so there is no way of knowing whether it will work on your car.

When selecting a source for an "ecu upgrade" you would do well to ask if what you are buying is a file downloaded from a library or custom calibrated for your own car. The former is cheaper but could be a waste of money.

Assuming that you decide to have a custom calibrated ecu, you then have the decision of which ecu to use and who to choose to do this work for you. A Calibration Technician or "Mapper" is just like a Chef, Carpenter or any other craftsman in as much as the quality of the end result will vary from person to person (or firm to firm). Additionally, some firms offer this service on a fixed price basis which on the surface seems like a good idea, but in reality is often compromised because that firm will be incentivised to prioritise speed of job rather than quality of job. The Dastek Unichip situation is a prime example of this as there a quite a few dealers competing on price so many of them try and do it as cheaply as possible to get the business. I have lost count of the amount of times that we have had cars in that have had a Unichip installed elsewhere, where we have managed to get a fair amount more power just by spending another hour or two on it. Another issue to consider is how much experience the person/firm has with your particular car, as each car likes different fuel and ignition values. I know of several "mappers" that use the same air/fuel ratio for each and every car that they do, which demostrates a lack of knowledge or r&d.

The correct choice of ecu is very important and will be based upon your exact requirements, and you need to decide whether you want the ability to calibrate it yourself. I normally advise against this unless you have the appropriate equipment and skills (I could buy myself a scalpel and a surgeons mask but that won't make me a brain surgeon). There is a huge difference in features and facilities between different ecu's, so make sure you do your research.

• 1 year later...

Hi there...that seems like a very good explanation to the novice :)

...now how about we get more technical. Specifically the Honda engine (as you would have guessed)...any chance you would like to try a shortish explanation why it is so hard to calibrate the Ivtec on the K series engine? is it primarily due to the DBW system? also any chance you can explain roughly why the IVTEC or indeed VTEC is so much more coveted compared to say the VANOS system in the BMW and the VVT system in Toyotas? looking forward to the replies...

Ok, Honda's vtec system uses completely different cam lobes pre and post the change over point, that is pretty unique and was actually patented by Honda for a long time.

The intake cam advance and retard function that puts the "I" in "IVTEC" is a tuners dream, it can advance or retard the cam +/- 25deg so that's 50deg of overall swing! it can reposition the cam at a typical rate of 10deg per 10msec which is fantastically fast.

Mapping the the H' B' and K' series Honda engines accurately is as you say very tricky but for reasons that go way beyond the control and subsequent dynamic influence of the cam shaft control systems, these engines are unique in many ways, personally I absolutely love working with them :)

• 5 years later...

Finally got round to booking my car in for remap. Very much looking forward to it as this will be the first time I've had one.

Bought the Octavia on a whim from Redline in Knaresborough Oct 2012. I usually keep cars 6 - 12 months but see me keeping this a while longer. Its a great all rounder.

Took off the Potenzas which I really didn't like (esp in the wet) and visited WIM for 4 Eagle F1's and a geo. Thought it was better investing in stopping first rather than going!

I'm having a stage 1 map. Gone with Shark in Mansfield on the recommendation of many on the Skoda forums.

Anything I should watch out for or be wary of with a remap?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

WOW!

I love it, it's like a new car!

Didn't go for outright power more a gradual improvement throughout the rev range. What a fantastic drive, esp with the recent Eagle F1's and WIM geo.

Just come back up from MK, 170 odd miles and computer shows 57.3mpg. I think thats better than it was previously!

Hurrah! :D

dont belive your MPG readout on the dash... very common mistake with calibrated cars.

now that the car has been 'done' i would advise ensuring that you keep a good eye on maintenance now, perform oil changes earlier etc to keep the engine in good condition. oil costs so little these days and its easy to DIY.

you should get better MPG from the car if behaving yourself, but a few 'squirts' can drop the mpg significantly. ;)

You can recalibrate the readout if you know anyone with VCDS (Vagcom) since the car will it calculate fuel usage on the old parameters rather than the new , i doubt it will be any worse than before though unless you boot it everywhere , my Mercedes was 1mpg better fill to fill after remap