Exhuast Types?

Rudymanz

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Y-pipe set-up just splits the gases between the boxes.... Whereas the link-pipe in the system you showed allows the pressure between the boxes to be equal on and off throttle.

You should have better back pressure and shouldn't get that horrid off-throttle rasp.

The Y-pipe set-up just splits the gases between the boxes.... Whereas the link-pipe in the system you showed allows the pressure between the boxes to be equal on and off throttle.

You should have better back pressure and shouldn't get that horrid off-throttle rasp.

Thanks, so in conclusion, are you saying the link pipe (horizontal) setup is better than the Y pipe... or am i just confused lol?

Thanks, so in conclusion, are you saying the link pipe (horizontal) setup is better than the Y pipe... or am i just confused lol?

Better..... In fact on some cars the Y exists with the horizontal connector.....

As for performance gains..... The TDi team are the ones to ask :)

Better..... In fact on some cars the Y exists with the horizontal connector.....

As for performance gains..... The TDi team are the ones to ask :)

Thanks for your quick reply Ill probably get the horizontal setup then. Who are the TDI team? :)

Hi guys sorry I've only just seen this thread. Ok firstly four stroke engines do not need or want any back pressure, at all, full stop.

The best possible exhaust for a four stroke is a straight piece of pipe of the "correct length and diameter".... the reason that the length and diameter are so important is because it's actually the harmonic characteristic's of a four stroke exhaust are of the utmost importance.

Arbitrarily removing boxes, changing pipe diameters will always have hit and miss results and I can count the people that I know of with the required knowledge to properly design an exhaust system on one hand.

It's a bit of a black art (read- Complicated Science) I'm afraid :o

Hi guys sorry I've only just seen this thread. Ok firstly four stroke engines do not need or want any back pressure, at all, full stop.

The best possible exhaust for a four stroke is a straight piece of pipe of the "correct length and diameter".... the reason that the length and diameter are so important is because it's actually the harmonic characteristic's of a four stroke exhaust are of the utmost importance.

Arbitrarily removing boxes, changing pipe diameters will always have hit and miss results and I can count the people that I know of with the required knowledge to properly design an exhaust system on one hand.

Thanks Sam..... Curious thought incoming.... Off throttle the exhaust is subject to negative pressure (hence the Nova farts we all hear) isn't the balance pipe designed to help in this instant?

the harmonic characteristic's of a four stroke exhaust are of the utmost importance.

Perhaps someone should design one with variable length - a section a bit like a trombone slide maybe - and a linear motor so it could be adjusted while driving.

Then you could make it play whatever note you liked . . . . . . . . :lol:

A Happy New Year Sam.

Curses - they've already done it . . . . . . . :lol:

Title:

Variable exhaust system for an internal combustion engine

Document Type and Number:

United States Patent 5271224

Link to this page:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5271224.html

Abstract:

A dynamically variable exhaust system provides for maximum efficiency of an internal combustion engine (30) by including an exhaust control device (35) which is operated by a control mechanism (33) and managed by a control unit (32). The length and cross-sectional area of the exhaust header section (36) can be varied by transversely displacing the effective exhaust passage within control device (35) while maintaining a streamlined profile of the effective passage throughout a predetermined range of displacement. The control unit (32) can be influenced by numerous operational inputs including control device position potentiometer (40), engine speed input (41), engine load input (42), vehicle braking sensor (43), exhaust emission and temperature sensor (44), and engine management system input (45).

Inventors:

Cruickshank, Ronald W. (460 Quail Ridge Dr., Westmont, IL, 60559)

Application Number:

07/977540

Filing Date:

11/17/1992

Publication Date:

12/21/1993

Now im confused, so ill just sit back and watch and wait for a final conclusion on what setup is best for my car :D

:D ..... I would go for the one with the balance pipe.

I have now agreed a price for the one i want :) will be buying it on the 7th so unless some more info is given to why i shouldnt get it, then its a done deal <_<

Now im confused, so ill just sit back and watch and wait for a final conclusion on what setup is best for my car :D

:D ..... I would go for the one with the balance pipe.

I have now agreed a price for the one i want :) will be buying it on the 7th so unless some more info is given to why i shouldnt get it, then its a done deal <_<

Deal in my opinion :)

the harmonic characteristic's of a four stroke exhaust are of the utmost importance.

It's a bit of a black art (read- Complicated Science) I'm afraid :huh:

Perhaps someone should design one with variable length - a section a bit like a trombone slide maybe - and a linear motor so it could be adjusted while driving.

Then you could make it play whatever note you liked . . . . . . . . <_<

A Happy New Year Sam.

And a Happy new year to you

Variable length exhaust runner designs have been around almost as long as the internal combustion engine. Often for road cars it's easier to tune the exhaust so that neither peak negative or positive harmonics are in the engines frequency range.

Intake harmonics are even more important, variable length intakes runners are used to great effect in loads and loads of modern cars, probably best demonstrated in the Audi 4.2 V8 which boasts 80% of peak torque available from just 2000rpm. Thanks in no small part to it's 3stage variable length intake manifold design.

Regarding the MX5 exhaust there is too little information here to make any kind of informed decision so it'll be a "suck it and see" I'm afraid

It's a bit of a black art (read- Complicated Science) I'm afraid :)

Then you could make it play whatever note you liked . . . . . . . . <_<

A Happy New Year Sam.

I had a Yamaha 1000cc motor bike back in about 1990 that had a similar system called "Exup" which was an electrically controlled valve in the exhaust collector which optimised the torque curve for different engine speeds :huh:

When fitting a universal exhaust and fitting using a camp, do you need to treat the part of the exhaust that has been cut? (i dont think so, just want to make sure before ordering it)

Thanks

Anthony

No you don't.