Anti-roll/ Sway bar replacement

Tony

i think that the right bar can be one of the best improvements

lowering with stiffer bars do compliment each other

on the IS200 thicker bars improved the cornering immensly without any noticable detriment to the comfort levels, gave a greater feel of confidence

as to which comes first

i personally would do bars first

and lowering second

although i dont think it matters, but feel that the two should go hand in hand with each other

on the IS200 thicker bars improved the cornering immensly without any noticable detriment to the comfort levels, gave a greater feel of confidence

as to which comes first

and lowering second

although i dont think it matters, but feel that the two should go hand in hand with each other

As a percentage how much do you think the new front bar helped the handling?... And have you noticed a movement in the roll centre?

as to which comes first

and lowering second

As a percentage how much do you think the new front bar helped the handling?... And have you noticed a movement in the roll centre?

handling wise its got to be 100%, it really did make a vast improvement

the lexus range are fairly wallowy cars, the pursuit of a comfortable drive

by stiffening up, with no loss of comfort its all plusses

unless its being really pushed it basically stays flat !

you loose that feeling off falling off your seat, which in turn helps the driving of the car

however there are times when you have to push it :D

DSC_2326.sized.jpg

as to which comes first

and lowering second

handling wise its got to be 100%, it really did make a vast improvement

the lexus range are fairly wallowy cars, the pursuit of a comfortable drive

by stiffening up, with no loss of comfort its all plusses

unless its being really pushed it basically stays flat !

you loose that feeling off falling off your seat, which in turn helps the driving of the car

however there are times when you have to push it :D

DSC_2326.sized.jpg

100% i wasn't expecting that?... Strange how the up-rated sway was smaller in diameter than the stock bar?.... little things like that bother me....? The bar is not progressively wound like a coil, Horizontal in fitment and resistant only to kinetic deflection..... In the pic, is janny tuning the radio :D

the IS bars were quite noticably bigger and heavier,

the starlet ones were visibly not much different, but made a fair difference, not as much as the IS but as you know with its set up, it doesnt move much in any direction :o :lol:

the starlet ones were visibly not much different, but made a fair difference, not as much as the IS but as you know with its set up, it doesnt move much in any direction :o :lol:

I understand what you mean.... since the coilovers belay roll then the CG must stay about 45/55... interesting bazza.... i wonder this? have you noticed 'bump steer' from this configuration?

the starlet ones were visibly not much different, but made a fair difference, not as much as the IS but as you know with its set up, it doesnt move much in any direction :lol: :o

I understand what you mean.... since the coilovers belay roll then the CG must stay about 45/55... interesting bazza.... i wonder this? have you noticed 'bump steer' from this configuration?

cant say i have, steering is very point and go, with good feedback with no un-toward moves

unlike the bump accelerator....on a bumpy road its very hard to keep your foot nice and level :lol:

the starlet ones were visibly not much different, but made a fair difference, not as much as the IS but as you know with its set up, it doesnt move much in any direction :lol: :o

cant say i have, steering is very point and go, with good feedback with no un-toward moves

unlike the bump accelerator....on a bumpy road its very hard to keep your foot nice and level :o

A little 'foot flutter' methinks :lol: ...... So ''Thumper' in truth how would you feel if the 'Star' had rated rear sway bars... we know it cannot but now you have experienced the front could you extrapolate an image if the rear was up-rated?

rear sways and adjustable panhards are available :lol:

made by whiteline

bit of interest:

by increasing the diameter of a sway bar

by 1mm can increase stiffness from 15-35%

by 2mm can increase stiffness from 30-75%

by 3mm can increase stiffness from 50-120%

100% i wasn't expecting that?... Strange how the up-rated sway was smaller in diameter than the stock bar?.... little things like that bother me....?

I stand to be corrected but I think the stock ARB's are hollow and the up-rated ones are solid hence the smalled dia.

I though that the stock ARB's were fine with stiffer springs till I took to the track, you notice the body roll then :lol:

Same went for the stock brakes till I found I had to brake earlier as time went by and was still going "deeper" into the corners. So next mods (when I get some dosh) is bars then brakes........or will it be brakes the bars?

Uprated anti-roll bars are a must IMHO. They make a huge difference to the handling of a car and with that give alot more confidence to the driver.

I agree with Barrie that the anti-rolls go hand in hand with coilovers. With one comes the other. A must

If you have a sufficiently high spring rate on the coilovers they ARBs are certianly not a must, more a hinderance to riding curbs well.

Obviously on the road ARBs help as we can't run springs hard enough without braking teeth.

100% i wasn't expecting that?... Strange how the up-rated sway was smaller in diameter than the stock bar?.... little things like that bother me....?

I stand to be corrected but I think the stock ARB's are hollow and the up-rated ones are solid hence the smalled dia.

I though that the stock ARB's were fine with stiffer springs till I took to the track, you notice the body roll then :lol:

Same went for the stock brakes till I found I had to brake earlier as time went by and was still going "deeper" into the corners. So next mods (when I get some dosh) is bars then brakes........or will it be brakes the bars?

Well this explains the diameter differential... As for your next mod.... brakes seem wiser than bars.... reason is the bars will allow you to turn in faster..... but the brakes will stop you before the barrier.

I need some new brakes. You can bolt uk supra mk4 4 pots directly on, just needs a slight bit of the brake shield moving as they get in the way of the disk or something, iirc.

Also you can use i think it is mk3 ls400 brake calipers, they are also 4 pot like the UK supra brakes, but i think they are slighlty less powerfull but they also weigh alot less, and are in less demand than UK supra 4 pots which alot of jap import supra owners seem to upgrade to.

I'd like to change them but you need bigger alloys, and i cant afford them as well, and have just put 2 brand new f1's on these tyres, so i think i will replace with the factory parts and have the calipers checked to make sure they operate smoothly as they have a habit of siezeing apparently.