Your true opinion

Tony

To be truthful I don't know which tyre is best, when I bought the Lex it had Bridgestone potenzas on. Which I found O.K.. Now I have Michelin pilots, which I find are quieter, but as for wear, I have only had them on 4 months about 2 to 3k miles

i brought toyos t1-s

because many people recommended them

i must say " i was so impressed.............. i brought another set"

Same as Barrie. I've got the Toyo Proxes and will be buying myself a brand new set again after the Bruntingthorpe track day :lol:

In the Mazda MX5 Community, there tends to be massive debate over this issue.

Im currently runing Toyo Proxes T1R's although I want to try some Goodyear Eagle F1's at some point but these Toyos don't want to wear out, but I'm really happy with them.

I know the T1S's wear quickly but I've heard loads of good things.

I tend to run my Toyos higher than stock psi as they have softer sidewalls.

Stock psi is 26psi but I run 29psi, I find this helps the cars handling.

Tony has already worked his magic on my car, in fact not long till I go back.

Other good brands from the 5, include the already mentioned Potenza, Yokohama Advan Neova, Kumho Ecsta and Falken Azensis.

Do they not make the bike a bit difficult to corner though :lol: :lol:

Seriously I'm with you Tony Eagle F1 GSD all round.

Interesting.... the F1 has high praise in the forums, i am a little un-educated simply because i dont deal with them directly.... The Toyo 888 are they for real? they look like their are made of 'plastic'.. :lol:

Interesting.... the F1 has high praise in the forums, i am a little un-educated simply because i dont deal with them directly.... The Toyo 888 are they for real? they look like their are made of 'plastic'.. :blink:

toyo 888`s are just the sexiest tyres you can buy

tony, you can have a feel of mine on saturday

Of course tyres are a personal choice and the majority would go for all the above but i was introduced to Nankangs (dont laugh) they were given to me on the proviso that if i didn't like them i could keep them with nothing to pay.So far the wear rate is very good (Tony can back this up), grip is as equal to anything else ive used in the past (most of the above) and the same goes for handling and responsiveness to cornering.

At the end of the day its only as good as the alignment of the suspension/wheels which is why i/we go to WIM.

:rolleyes:

I have a Supra running 255/35/18 front and 265/35/18 rear,I used to put Bridgestone SO2's when they were available back in the day,After being superceeded by the S03,Well ceeded anyway!

Now run goody F1's as they are the best that ive found so far,Alot of people who I know do rate the Toyo's so I might splash out for a set of them on the next set

i am using a real budget brand merit, the tyre is a "metric reinforced" they are a rotation tread pattern the dry grip is great, i have done 4000 miles on them in 8 months and they are on 6mm, the wet grip however is, ummm, entertaining, i have set my pressures to the factory recomended 30psi front 33 rear. they are very quiet, i will buy them again as i dont need loads of grip because its not the sort of car to throw around, i wouldnt recomend them for a wet track day, unless your into drifting

• 1 month later...

People rave about the Toyo T1-Rs for one good reason - they're the best of the budget sports tyres so get a lot of attention from cheap sports cars owners. It really gets my wick when people make them out to be the ultimate tyre as they're really not.

Toyo R888's might look pretty (i love them) but hard track use will turn them into chocolate and they seem to suffer from going too hard after a number of heat cycles (a common slick problem)

Eagle f1's, i can't really comment but I don't doubt these are one of the best ROAD tyres you can by. Any spirited track use will turn them to chocolate.

Michelin Pilot Sport GS2s are quite impressive but as you get to about 2/3rds wear they harden up. Excellent wear for the grip though.

I've recently been impressed with a set of bridgestone so2's but I think they're going wear quite quickly.

I'd like to try some kumho Ectsa V70a trackday tyres as they recently won an award in auto bild which is a well respected magazine. Even beat the advan a048s and pilot sport cups.

• 10 months later...

I think different tyres suit different cars.

My Omega MV6, for example, seems to like Dunlop SP9000 (got some 9090 on rear at present, too new to give opinion). Size is 235/45ZR17

The little Rover 25 seems happiest on Pirelli P6000 - a tyre that I have hated on other cars. It dislikes GY NCTs, which worked well on a previous Rover.

I think, find a quality tyre you like on a particular car, and stick with it....

• 2 weeks later...
People rave about the Toyo T1-Rs for one good reason - they're the best of the budget sports tyres so get a lot of attention from cheap sports cars owners. It really gets my wick when people make them out to be the ultimate tyre as they're really not.

Toyo R888's might look pretty (i love them) but hard track use will turn them into chocolate and they seem to suffer from going too hard after a number of heat cycles (a common slick problem)

Eagle f1's, i can't really comment but I don't doubt these are one of the best ROAD tyres you can by. Any spirited track use will turn them to chocolate.

Michelin Pilot Sport GS2s are quite impressive but as you get to about 2/3rds wear they harden up. Excellent wear for the grip though.

I've recently been impressed with a set of bridgestone so2's but I think they're going wear quite quickly.

I'd like to try some kumho Ectsa V70a trackday tyres as they recently won an award in auto bild which is a well respected magazine. Even beat the advan a048s and pilot sport cups.

Yep i'm with you regarding the heat curing on the r888's

And personally I rate the Michelin Pilots sports as an almost perfect road tyre, my fave for sure, just wish they made a wider range of sizes :thumbsup_anim:

Yep i'm with you regarding the heat curing on the r888's

And personally I rate the Michelin Pilots sports as an almost perfect road tyre, my fave for sure, just wish they made a wider range of sizes :rolleyes_anim:

You surprise me Sam desiring the Mich!.... i despise the tyre :blush:

• 4 weeks later...
And personally I rate the Michelin Pilots sports as an almost perfect road tyre, my fave for sure, just wish they made a wider range of sizes :graduated:

I feel the Michelins are too hard, and don't seem to wear quickly enough, leaving almost a glaze on the tyre, and suspect grip. I have also had to change them before worn due to cracking.

As per my earlier rant I'm with Sam, my personal choice would be a pilot sport but i've yet to do serious mileage on the Eagle F1.

Interesting development regarding tyre reviews and ratings coming soon I hope :whistle:

As per my earlier rant I'm with Sam, my personal choice would be a pilot sport but i've yet to do serious mileage on the Eagle F1.

Interesting development regarding tyre reviews and ratings coming soon I hope :)

Very soon i hope :whistle:

I think different tyres suit different cars.

My Omega MV6, for example, seems to like Dunlop SP9000 (got some 9090 on rear at present, too new to give opinion). Size is 235/45ZR17

The little Rover 25 seems happiest on Pirelli P6000 - a tyre that I have hated on other cars. It dislikes GY NCTs, which worked well on a previous Rover.

I think, find a quality tyre you like on a particular car, and stick with it....

Ive been using the Dunlop SP9090. Very pleased with them too! Much much more grippy than my previous bridgestones, in fact quite amazingly so. The effect might be enhanced by the fact the bridgstones were a bit hard though!