"Cracking" Sound From Rear Suspension

Jap Devil

I'm running the IS300 on HKS HiperMax RS coilovers which have been fitted approx 1,500 miles ago and have been fine up until recently with no knocking or tapping.

What I've noticed is a sharp "cracking" noise which appear to originate from the N/S rear and is most apparent when turning a sharp left or right corner at low speed, but it also occurs going over speedbumps and rough surfaces. It's more apparent starting from cold but still happens after running for a while.

I was think of the following possibilities:

1) A loose top mount? I'll need to remove the boot liner to check these.

2) A loose ARB drop link. Before Track Attack I removed all the wheels and did a visual inspection of the suspension and couldn't find anything loose.

3) No contact is apparent between the coilover spring and the inner tyre wall.

Any ideas / suggestions are most welcome

Edited by Jap Devil

What I've noticed is a sharp "cracking" noise which appear to originate from the N/S rear and is most apparent when turning a sharp left or right corner at low speed

My guess would be the top mount. Reason is the activation left and right involves diagonal shear from the cars parallelogram... more prominent probably on a right lock. If the mount is loose it may knock by transmitting compression to the upper body housing.

What I've noticed is a sharp "cracking" noise which appear to originate from the N/S rear and is most apparent when turning a sharp left or right corner at low speed

My guess would be the top mount. Reason is the activation left and right involves diagonal shear from the cars parallelogram... more prominent probably on a right lock. If the mount is loose it may knock by transmitting compression to the upper body housing.

I would say good guess Tony.

I get that as well. Some "3 in 1" around the top mount from the inside does the trick :)

I would say good guess Tony.

I get that as well. Some "3 in 1" around the top mount from the inside does the trick :D

Hay i was trained by the Master :D ....... before you i was the master of coilover disaster.

Bit off topic but once worked with a mechanic who told me that he had a lorry come in once that the driver complained made a "terrible screeching noise" going round corners.

He had the brakes and sispension in bits and could find nothing wrong, so off the driver went and came straight back saying the noise was still there. Turned out to be an Irn Bru bottle wedged under the drivers seat, the noise was metal scrapeing on glass as the seat moved slightly.

Bit off topic but once worked with a mechanic who told me that he had a lorry come in once that the driver complained made a "terrible screeching noise" going round corners.

He had the brakes and sispension in bits and could find nothing wrong, so off the driver went and came straight back saying the noise was still there. Turned out to be an Irn Bru bottle wedged under the drivers seat, the noise was metal scrapeing on glass as the seat moved slightly.

Did the mechanic beat the driver up when he found out?....... all that work for a bottle!

Did the mechanic beat the driver up when he found out?....... all that work for a bottle!

Had it been a Coke bottle he probably would, by as Irn Bru is a well known cure for "a bad head" he let him off :D

Had it been a Coke bottle he probably would, by as Irn Bru is a well known cure for "a bad head" he let him off :D

Bless...... :D then beat him up seems wiser :D