Horror of the week

Tony

Subject coil spring

Vehicle: 02 VW Transporter

Mileage: 78435 miles

Normally factory wound springs are wound so that the compression pitch stays the same continuously through the coil. If the bump is intense the inner loops add to the resistance to the sum of many 1000's of lbs absorbing more and more intrusion. So it would be assumed that the coil contributes intense additions to the handling and general feel of the drive.

How's this...

post-2-1147018258_thumb.jpg

and this

post-2-1147018311_thumb.jpg

The owner was oblivious to the condition, the reason it was brought to light was the MOT.

Next problem was the replacement?.... most factory springs are 'normally wound' most after-market springs are 'progressively wound'

With progressively wound springs the coil pitch gets tighter the closer the to the top of the compression, this has the effect of giving the spring more 'progressive' resistance', passive absorption in general conditions, aggressive absorption in the most desperate of cases.

Oddly enough i now see one or two vehicles a week with a broken coil?.... does this reflect the new governmental canyon road condition we all hate but pay for?

half right, n/s/f.. dropping off a kurb

Poor design.... the reason i targeted the osf is because i have seen several coils on the Fav broken there. Skoda are aware of the problem but as yet have failed to recall.

we seen a couple of skodas where the spring cup has snapped off of the strut on the rear, the whole suspention collapses but the spring is fine :)

Indeed the older Skoda does have an issue with the rear coil cup due to corrosion... what i have learned about the Fav is it has the front coils from the 00 Polo. The issue is that the Castor is more positive and the load on the coil surpasses the original position, in particular when turning with 'on' compression loading.... seemingly this is the weakest point.