High or Low

Tony

Taking the modification market by the horns, what do you have?... and why?

It would be easy to promote a particular manufacturer and display all the benefits offered in the brochure, but in the real world why?.... was it

1:- Price

2:- Development

3:- Installation

Also was there any issues remaining with the geometry that were 'not' explained in advance?

My Roadster originally had Bilstein suspension fitted, but was tired, worn & knocking :unsure:

Most MX5/Roadster owners go for the KYB/AGX set up, but I deciede to go a different route.

The Bilsteins were changed for the Spax PSX 28pt adjustable set up (lowering 20-40mm)

(Ideally I would have liked to have D2 Coilovers fitted by was unable to justify the use & cost :rolleyes: )

I have found with the set up now (shocks set at 13 'clicks') that the car is far more 'planted' and cornering is improved, and with the adjustability I can set it for the type of driving (road/track/drift) I am doing.

Fitting was relatively easy although the springs fit on what looks upside down to the eye (writing wrong way up) and the tech guys at Spax were unable to tell me which way up they went !!

The only disapointment with the Spax's is that although the lowering was supposed to be -20 to 40mm the car now sits slightly higher that it did with the original set up.

My Roadster originally had Bilstein suspension fitted, but was tired, worn & knocking B)

Most MX5/Roadster owners go for the KYB/AGX set up, but I deciede to go a different route.

The Bilsteins were changed for the Spax PSX 28pt adjustable set up (lowering 20-40mm)

(Ideally I would have liked to have D2 Coilovers fitted by was unable to justify the use & cost :rolleyes: )

I have found with the set up now (shocks set at 13 'clicks') that the car is far more 'planted' and cornering is improved, and with the adjustability I can set it for the type of driving (road/track/drift) I am doing.

Fitting was relatively easy although the springs fit on what looks upside down to the eye (writing wrong way up) and the tech guys at Spax were unable to tell me which way up they went !!

The only disapointment with the Spax's is that although the lowering was supposed to be -20 to 40mm the car now sits slightly higher that it did with the original set up.

Hi Janey :unsure: .... the height reads strange?.... i would expect what it reads on the box?....

Hi Janey :unsure: .... the height reads strange?.... i would expect what it reads on the box?....

mmmm yes I know it sounds strange :rolleyes: but the edition (S Special) came with Bilsteins as a standard extra which were lower than stock (which I didn't realise beforehand) so even though the Spax's are supposedly lower the car is now slightly higher as they are not as low as the Bilsteins were B)

Im one of those FM Springs/KYB AGX Damper Owners and it's really improved the cornering after I fitted it, but the car needed a full geometry and now it's become really chuckable.

I had been out in alot of cars with this kit on and I cannot believe how good they are.

Alot of people also uprate there Anti-Roll Bars or Sway Bars (whatever you call them) but breakaway is less predictable and can often result in bad circumstances, although my friend was running a seriously agressive geometry setup when he put his MX5 in a ditch.

I've stuck with the stock sway/anti roll bars and found it still rolls a bit but alot less then when it was on stock suspension.

Ideally the TEIN Coilovers are highly rated, as are D2 but I wanted a proven combination that worked, so I suppose development was my main concern, installation I left to the perfomance company who fitted it. You should never skimp on price.

There also an argument that uprating the bushes on a 5 will improve it, but that's nearly a grands worth of labour!!

I recently changed from the standard MR2 Billies springs & dampeners to a set of TRD coilovers (manufactured by Tokico) which I picked up 2nd hand for a bargain price on eBay.

These have 5 way adjustable dampening by means of a small dial and I initially left them set as they came - 3/5 at the rear and 4/5 at the front.

The ride was incredibly hard and the car was prone to much skittiness and bouncing, even with the dampening set softer. Oversteer and tramlining were also a problem.

It was only when I went and fitted the split size 16" rims with 45 aspect tyres that the problem went away. I now have he low ride I wanted, an acceptable level of comfort and all the handling capability I need. :lol:

IS200

originally had the tien coilovers, found they were bumpy, and very noisy and didnt really handle that well

since have changed to the TTE coilovers and found a vast difference, smooth and quiet

no damping adjustment, but to be honest it doesnt need it, set up perfectly, and give great confidence in handling

Starlet

original lowered springs, very soft

now running D2 coilovers , very firm ride, superb handling, and infinetly adjustable although a bit noisy, but altogether ideal for a trackday car, for everday use i wouldnt recommend them

although the tien coilovers are well known and well liked , i feel unless you are spending big bucks on the top model ones, there are far better choices out there

TTE are tried and tested, they were produced for the car and in my mind are just about perfect

The HKS HiperMax RS coilovers I have on the IS are top notch - 30 point adjustable dampening, really tightened up the handling and are very quiet!

Without being rude what was the cost... including fitting?

Without being rude what was the cost... including fitting?

I bought the coils while I was in the US and got a cracking price - $1,890 (shipped) which works out at £1,080

In the UK they go for around £1,500 :rolleyes:

Fitting came to £136 inclusive at my local independant garage.

Well pleased!