Electric power steering question.

AdsGUK

Hi WIM

I thought id post this here as you guys are experts with this type of thing. Its a bit of a nerdy question but was a query as to something ive noticed on all cars with EPS that i have owned.

With EPS i wondered why a lot of them occasionally vary in weight from time to time when you are driving them. It’s something im quite sensitive to annoyingly but noticed that on some days the steering will feel accurate and evenly weighted and sometimes it will feel quite a bit heavier to one side (not necessarily after a heavy lunch!) and turn in more difficult, so it feels like understeer?. I currently have this on an BMW E82 with M sport suspension but i think its too much of a coincidence to be a problem as ive had this often on other eps equipped cars (admittedly it is on runflats which doesnt help.)

Could this be something that tyres to contribute to? Even on a dry day in warm conditions? One thing i have wondered is if it caused by when the car pulls engine timing back for whatever reason so you dont get as much toe out on acceleration.  

I have tended to go for cars with sportier set ups, fiesta st and mx5 to name a few so possibly this is something that those set ups are more prone to when on uneven roads. As i have not noticed this on cars with regular set ups and lighter steering. 

Weird question but would be interested to know the factors that would cause this on electric steering. 

I've noticed this too on cars I've owned with EPS. Could it be that when the car is under load it zaps some of the power to the motor making it feel heavier. Similar to when you start putting the lights on, heated screens, seats etc and that puts a strain on the battery, and other electrical parts.

• 1 month later...
On 24/02/2022 at 11:50, Rich said:

I've noticed this too on cars I've owned with EPS. Could it be that when the car is under load it zaps some of the power to the motor making it feel heavier. Similar to when you start putting the lights on, heated screens, seats etc and that puts a strain on the battery, and other electrical parts.

Im glad its not just me! Yes always EPS equipped cars ive never really come across it on hydraulic racks. For example over the weekend I use my car less, after its been sitting a few days I notice the steering feels lighter and the car feels more keen. After an hour or two of driving it goes back to feeling heavier with less acceleration. Id say this is a problem but ive definitely encountered this on the past 4 EPS racked cars I owned.