Mazda 6 estate 2013

adam_r

Our 2002 corolla is becoming a bit long in the tooth and my wife's new job has meant we will need 2 cars in the new year. 

We will keep the corolla whilst it still drives, however at 166k miles it's starting to drink oil which is a common problem with the 1.4 vvti engines... Shame as it has been a cracking work horse. 

Anyway, I spotted this on auto trader and it caught my eye.

Full service history, only 40k miles and it's impeccable inside and out. It wasn't cheap at North of £12k, but it should last for a long time!. 

It's a 2.0 petrol and has got a fair few toys inside including a bose audio system, memory seats and other bits and bobs, however it doesn't come with the travel pack that has radar and adaptive cruise control which is a little disappointing. 

Hoping to give it a proper clean and polish when I get it later in the week to improve the depth of the paint. 

IMG_20211211_371.jpg

I really like that and a great colour 😁

It does seem expensive for an 8 year old car but with the used market being like it is I guess that's expected.

What's the mpg going to be like with petrol being so expensive now? I'm struggling to get 20mpg out of the Accord now! Hopefully this engine is more refined.

I miss my old Corolla T Sport, that was a good car 😀

20 hours ago, Rich said:

I really like that and a great colour 😁

It does seem expensive for an 8 year old car but with the used market being like it is I guess that's expected.

What's the mpg going to be like with petrol being so expensive now? I'm struggling to get 20mpg out of the Accord now! Hopefully this engine is more refined.

I miss my old Corolla T Sport, that was a good car 😀

I only 5k miles a year so mpg is not too much a concern, however on the test drive, it showed an average of 37mpg. 

Yep It was expensive, but 40k miles and fsh.... Its like a brand new car. 

Our corolla has developed a bottom end knock and I have no idea how long it will last... 

• 10 months later...

Well little update on this as its almost been a year now. 

Had it serviced and MOTd, £300 all in but it maintains its DFSH. 

Currently averaging around 40mpg with mainly town commute,  achieving mid 50's when on a considerate motorway cruise. 

At 70+ a few percent, mpg drops and I get about 35-38 which isn't awful. At 8k miles so far this year petrol still seems the sensible option. 

Tryes are silly prices due to the factory 19" wheels, so had to opt for some mid range tyres for £160 each. 

£300 for a dealer service and MOT sounds good.

I can't believe the mpg you're getting from this. Maybe one to look at when the Accord does go.

Diesel is 25-30p a litre more than petrol around here so unless you're doing mega miles a year petrol is definitely the way forward now. I wonder if they'll keep diesel alot higher now to try and force people to switch over.

That's the thing with big wheels, tyres are eyewatering prices. What is the smallest rim available that Mazda made for the car, I assume 17s?

17s are the smallest but they also do 18s and 19s. 

If you engage cruise control it does some weird stuff with the timing and fuel injection which massively improves fuel economy. 

At 60-65mph I can easily get 57mpg on a flat road. 

Wish I had spent the extra on a newer face-lift model as they have a better infotainment system. 

Mazda is nice, but I would look at a Toyota estate if I where to buy again 

18 hours ago, adam_r said:

Mazda still don't have great rust proofing, never have. The newer Toyotas look very nice... And it's a Toyota it will just keep on going! 

Don't they, that's a shame.

I do like Toyota/Lexus and will definitely be considering one for my next car. I did look at the Yaris T Sport after owning the Corolla version but they're a target for CAT thieves around here!