So who has a car that won’t be able to use the new E10 petrol

Summer 2021 E10 petrol will replace the current regular 95 grade. E10 contains 10% renewable ethanol and some older cars ( pre 2011 ) will not be able to run on it. Solution is to use the more expensive 97 grade.

Anybody here affected ? You can check on gov.uk 

Seems like they've been using E10 in the US for years with no issues for the MX5 (Miata). But yes if Mazda don't give a definite answer I may have to switch to V Power, which obviously costs more! ☹️

Having done some reading it seems the super unleaded fuel will remain at E5 for at least another 5 years. To fill a tank would probably cost around £6 more.

I don't do much mileage in the MX5, it's insured for 3000 but I'm lucky to hit 1000 miles a year. Although I'm planning on using it abit more now. So it would probably cost me an extra £30 a year to fill up which is probably cheaper than using additives.

I also found out that Essos super unleaded is actually E0 but legislation means they have to put E5 on the pumps. I normally use She'll garages but will be switching to this now.

https://www.esso.co.uk/en-gb/fuels/petrol

Yes, my lawnmowers will require V-Power or equivalent when my 5 litre can runs out. I need to sell one but it's a nearly £700 lawnmower new so not sure of the likelihood of a sale at about £300.

On 24/08/2021 at 12:30, SMARTLY said:

Yes, my lawnmowers will require V-Power or equivalent when my 5 litre can runs out. I need to sell one but it's a nearly £700 lawnmower new so not sure of the likelihood of a sale at about £300.

are there any additives you can get from halfords?

On 24/08/2021 at 12:30, SMARTLY said:

Wow, why is it so expensive? I've never one that costs so much.

I just had an email from MX5 parts about using E10 in MK1 and 2 cars. They basically say that it'll be fine so I think maybe I should just stick with normal unleaded.

https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/information/all-about-e10-fuel-and-your-mx5/

Something I've never been sure on is when I park it up over winter, should the tank be full or empty. I've always left as little fuel as I can in the tank but I'm wondering if I should maybe fill it up with super unleaded so moisture can't cause rust to form.

18 hours ago, SMARTLY said:

It's a traditional one with a roller, like this although unavailable

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Suffolk-Punch-Petrol-Cylinder-Lawnmower/dp/B003DPVJUY

You must have a nice stripy lawn 😁

The rule is fill it with super unleaded if its a metal tank , run it low if its a plastic tank . If you are going to park it up for more than a couple of months its probably worthwhile adding a fuel stabiliser as well 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's a metal tank but I'm not sure, I can't seem to find an answer online. On the MX5 forums, owners say they do it both ways. I've just left it more or less empty to avoid having to put a stabiliser in. So I stick 5 litres of fresh fuel in when I start it up over winter and then go fill up when it's had a run.

I've just filled the car up with Esso supreme, £1.55 a litre! 😢

I think E10 will be fine for most cars - would i put it in the skyline? Not until the super gets uprated. I always run super anyway so makes no difference to me. I think the worst that can happen here is the fuel hoses and injector seals perish faster than expected and you might have to sort that. Can you imagine if the E10 was that bad how many cars would get damaged as the average joe will just chuck anything in their cars - it i can't see it happening would be a class action law suit.

When i lay the car up i always leave it full of super (plastic tank) my logic is less airspace for any other funny business. Its been absolutely fine.

The bosch S5 is a great battery - that will last years!

I think E10 fuel has been around for years in other countries so yes there is probably little to worry about. Like you say Steve I bet the majority wouldn't even check their cars anyway.

Do you know if the tank on the MX5 is plastic or metal? I think the MK2 is the same as the MK1 you had. I'll start filling it up over winter though, it will save messing with jerry cans too! Do you use a fuel stabiliser, if so what one?

The car definitely starts better with the S5 battery, I should've replaced it years a go!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/02/2022 at 11:50, eddie said:

can you mod older cars to take E10 petrol?

Depends on the car, but might have to replace rubber fuel lines, carb diaphragms and even possibly carb floats.

Shouldn't need to tweak the timing as you are probably always doing that when changing points etc.

Haven't done anything with my Mk1 MX5, but will do the rubbers on my '62 Vitesse in due course - but as it doesn't do massive mileage I run it on E5 Super so the problem shouldn't occur.

E5 Super is the simple answer for low mileage classics.