Upgrading MX5 ND RF suspension

Gareth

Hi,

I previously had a fast road alignment at Wheels In Motion. I'm now looking to improve the suspension. I like the fact the car leans and you can feel it loading up the suspension but there is just too much lean. I've considered the Mazda alternative springs but have issues. Firstly I don't want to lower the car by as much as 30mm due to the rough roads and hump on the drive. Secondly because I have the RF Sport+, it has the stiffer RF springs that are then upgraded for the Sport+. So I'm not clear the alternative Mazda springs will make much of a difference.

Hence the question is - is there an option for moderately stiffer springs which will only lower by 15mm? If not what are the coilover options?

thanks

Gareth

13 minutes ago, Tony said:

Hi Gareth

Are you talking ND or NC.... Also, what colour are the dampers, yellow or black.

Hi Tony,

It is a 2019 ND with the yellow Bilsteins. It has a folding hard top as well, which I believe come with slightly stiffer springs.

The yellow dampers, are gas.

The ND on yellow dampers are 15mm lower than the NC sport. This means the lowering Eibach will only give you a 15mm lowering.

The fact Mazda did this means the centre of gravity and roll centre is much better, but not perfect.

So I'm perplexed. I've been to WIM and you guys clearly know a LOT about MX5s. But there are a lot of people on other forums who actually want the Mazda Eibach springs for the 30mm drop and they aren't complaining of only getting 15mm drop.

I'm almost certainly not understanding part of this. Are you refering to the Mazda branded Eibachs? These seem to have two different product codes 4100 77 774(NC) & 4100-77-780(ND). Are you suggesting I fit the NC springs on the ND?

Ignore my post from yesterday.

I think I understand what you are saying. The standard dampers only provide damping. The gas pressurised bilsteins provide damping and a level of support. The bilsteins operate like a helper spring. Hence the same spring but with bilsteins will give 15mm higher suspension than the standard damper. Does this also mean that the same spring gives stiffer suspension with the bilstein than the standard damper - because you have to compress both the spring and the pressurised gas bilsteins? Apologies for the beginner questions.

Initially, Mazda used lowering coils that covered the soft top and the reachable hard top.

The issue is the retractable top's motor is 15kg heavier than the soft top, They changed the coil rates, but it resulted in the front being 15 mm higher compared to the rear.