The beast lives and ready for mot

jammy

I did try to run it stat free but the housing won't bolt fully down without it fitted.i tested the old one and it opens but very slow.

People are saying the liners have dropped in the bores but my understanding of that is that the car would barely run amd id have water filling up the engine and turning the oil milky.there is none of this happening and the car runs sweet as a nut still and pulls hard still..

Had a go at posting a vid..

Before I pulled over to do this the car was behaving fine and I'd already checked the coolent level which was on point..car started to get hot sonpulped over to check it out.within seconds though it had cooled down via radiator cooling fans

That's what our Civic was doing, the coolant was getting so high it was going out the overflow. The rad would also start getting low. It never overheated though and no mayo on the oil cap.

I tried a new rad cap but that didn't work so we got rid of the car in the end! But have you tried a new rad cap just in case?

Have you fitted any egr blank or egr restrictor to this engine? I tried that and the engine hot hotter so I removed it. If you need an egr valve I have a newish one you can have cheap, so don't chuck money at a new one as they are expensive.

The thermostat might be the best route to test first, as it could be partially stuck open. Mind you on this engine by ye time you've got to the thermostat, you might as well put a new (tested) one in.

6 hours ago, NickT said:

Have you fitted any egr blank or egr restrictor to this engine? I tried that and the engine hot hotter so I removed it. If you need an egr valve I have a newish one you can have cheap, so don't chuck money at a new one as they are expensive.

The thermostat might be the best route to test first, as it could be partially stuck open. Mind you on this engine by ye time you've got to the thermostat, you might as well put a new (tested) one in.

Hey nick hope your well mate....

Nothing has been done to the egr at all..I have purchased a new stat to fit saturday..intssted the current one while it was out and I'm not convinced it's working smoothly and looks old so it's got to go..

I've just put a brand new expansion tank cap and been out and done a few shops local and checked level each time and it seems to have remained where it was before i went out.

Is the egr valve and cooler all one bit?

Yes mate and I gad to keep the revs up around 2k for 10 minutes before things circulate properly.ive got some work on a mates car tomorrow now do the stat might have you wait a week yet 

• 2 weeks later...

New cap and thermostat may have done the trick 

Taken it on a 185 mile round trip for work today and the trip there was all good with no issues to report :)

• Like 1