Lowering MX-5 Mk3

Ray collins

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Tony.  Hope you are recovering well.   In answer to your question.   I am booked in for one o’clock  tomorrow (Thursday)  26th ...    hope you get my reply.  I haven’t a clue where I put replies  etc.   I just roll down until I find a place to  punch something into my iPad.    If you get this reply. Can you please let me know with just a  OK Best regards   Ray

3 hours ago, Tony said:

What time are you booked in Ray?

Re Your question  ( above )  

Tomorrow.   One o’clock  Thursday 26 Th   Keep safe Tony,    ...  We will arrive a bit early    Just  in case  you want the car in  and get started on it,   But quite happy with one o’clock start    Keep safe  Best regards from Ray.   

On 25/11/2020 at 12:48, Ray collins said:

Re Your question  ( above )  

Tomorrow.   One o’clock  Thursday 26 Th   Keep safe Tony,    ...  We will arrive a bit early    Just  in case  you want the car in  and get started on it,   But quite happy with one o’clock start    Keep safe  Best regards from Ray.   

On 25/11/2020 at 14:58, Tony said:

Great, I'll see you then.

Unfortunately  I Didn’t see you    But must say  Joe  is top class   I am most impressed with the lowering of my MX5   Looks better 100%  drives nicer too,   What more is there to like,   Top class company.   Best regards from me to all of you at W.I.M     So please with the work. That when I need new tyres I am driving 50 miles  so as to give you the trade..   Ray

On 25/11/2020 at 09:24, Tony said:

What time are you booked in Ray?

Too late. For the question Tony  It’s done,    My MX 5 now lowered and looking much nicer .  Great service ...   Will be coming back soon for some appropriate spacer work too,     Kind regards      Ray 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ray collins said:

Too late. For the question Tony  It’s done,    My MX 5 now lowered and looking much nicer .  Great service ...   Will be coming back soon for some appropriate spacer work too,     Kind regards      Ray 

I should be thanking you...... how wide will the spacers be?

On 28/11/2020 at 11:13, Tony said:

I should be thanking you...... how wide will the spacers 

25mm    Is what most people go for.   Joe agrees that 25mm is “ spot on “.     Joe recommends  H&R  spacers.  A bit dearer but probably the best ones to buy,     Ray

4 minutes ago, Ray collins said:

Spacers to be 25mm.  Which Joe says is. “ spot on “    That’s good enough for me,  
H&R  bit expensive   But - again - recommended by    Joe,   That’s good enough for me... Ray 

Ps,  can someone explain to me   When my reply has been successful please ?    I seem to keep re submitting my answers - or indeed my entire post -  several times   Because I don’t know if I have replied in the right  place,   Ray

25mm is the limit on the front. Without blinding you with geometry reasons but the front wheels tyre contact patch needs to be under the lower pickup point.

The lower ball joint focuses the tyres working contact patch within the lower ball joint's orbit.

The spacers need to be bolt-on.... This type bolt onto the original studs and the wheels bolt onto the spacers studs.

2 minutes ago, Ray collins said:

Ps,  can someone explain to me   When my reply has been successful please ?    I seem to keep re submitting my answers - or indeed my entire post -  several times   Because I don’t know if I have replied in the right  place,   Ray

Don't worry Ray.... I'll ask Rich to explain but trust me it's just a learning curve....

1 minute ago, Tony said:

25mm is the limit on the front. Without blinding you with geometry reasons but the front wheels tyre contact patch needs to be under the lower pickup point.

The lower ball joint focuses the tyres working contact patch within the lower ball joint's orbit.

The spacers need to be bolt-on.... This type bolt onto the original studs and the wheels bolt onto the spacers studs.

Thanks Tony. I  Won’t go any wider,   Thanks for your expertise in these matters.   25 mm will be just about right for what I want to achieve,  ((pure cosmetics))       However   Your  “GeometrIcal“    explanation to a 79 year old  Was   About as helpful as a chocolate tea pot     
Ha ha ha, However,   Yes it did    “Blind me with geometric decisions”.  etc    But, A fascinating subject  I’m sure.   But at 79  I will stick to making Horlicks  at 9 o’clock .. take care Tony   Keep safe    ...

35 minutes ago, Tony said:

I can detect that you are  “buzzing” with enthusiasm  on the subject  of Geometrics ..  Me ?  I’m more interested at the moment  in what   ‘Underpants‘   to wear,     Te he he he,    I’ve heard that  When you collided with the Combined Harvester  You leaped out and checked it’s  Geometry  ?    

Ray, you type into the box below the last post headed Reply, type what you want and you can answer multiple replies in this thread within one reply box. Then click "Submit Reply" wait about 5 seconds and as if like magic it's all done ..... no need to hit Submit twice or go back into thread and type it again ;)

It will then show you your reply back on your screen.

Also, when you go into Forum, click on Activity, then click on Unread Content and it will list posts since you were last in the forum. And if you click on the little graphic immediately to the left of the thread title ..... usually a star or similar ..... it will take you to the first unread post on that thread.

The rule of thumb so to speak.   Is to hang a bit of  string down from the wheel arch   And  measure how much the spacer needs to be. In order for the  tyre to sit  “ out “  flush with the  side of the car,   (Always a nice look )    So Tony If I did this and  25mm doesn’t quite give me the perfect look.   Can I ask Joe to give me slightly  thicker spacers.  Perhaps an extra  5mm ?    Would that be too  much to ask,   Given your geometrics  enthisiasm...

4 minutes ago, SMARTLY said:

Ray, you type into the box below the last post headed Reply, type what you want and you can answer multiple replies in this thread within one reply box. Then click "Submit Reply" wait about 5 seconds and as if like magic it's all done ..... no need to hit Submit twice or go back into thread and type it again ;)

It will then show you your reply back on your screen.

Also, when you go into Forum, click on Activity, then click on Unread Content and it will list posts since you were last in the forum.

Right .. so let’s test the theory    And watch it  work.   I  will expect a reply to this post.  By simply pressing the submit button.    If it works  I am going to  make a cup of tea  and feel quite proud of myself ..  

Smartly, just a little bit more  to help me please ...   (1) is there a delete button  so that I can get rid of dozens of  old posts that have become  materially  unnecessary ?    Or can it be done from your end? ,    I have Sent a dozen posts that are really too repetitive    And should be gone,    I note that there is an edit facility    What would happen If I simply erase unwanted posts by keeping my finger on the edit button. ?    I’m  useless at Internet parlance    Phrases and  jargon ho right over my head.    But in the meantime. Thanks Smartly for your help .... Ray ....

8 minutes ago, Ray collins said:

Smartly, just a little bit more  to help me please ...   (1) is there a delete button  so that I can get rid of dozens of  old posts that have become  materially  unnecessary ?    Or can it be done from your end? ,    I have Sent a dozen posts that are really too repetitive    And should be gone,    I note that there is an edit facility    What would happen If I simply erase unwanted posts by keeping my finger on the edit button. ?    I’m  useless at Internet parlance    Phrases and  jargon ho right over my head.    But in the meantime. Thanks Smartly for your help .... Ray ....

15 minutes ago, Ray collins said:

Right .. so let’s test the theory    And watch it  work.   I  will expect a reply to this post.  By simply pressing the submit button.    If it works  I am going to  make a cup of tea  and feel quite proud of myself ..  

ps. I know I am going to do your heads in but I cannot find the word “reply”.    I can see the word “quote”.  And  when I press it.  I get a little box come up at the bottom of my screen. That says words the  effect “” reply to last post””  Is that the one that allows me to reply ?       .... Ray 

On 28/11/2020 at 12:53, Ray collins said:

ps. I know I am going to do your heads in but I cannot find the word “reply”.    I can see the word “quote”.  And  when I press it.  I get a little box come up at the bottom of my screen. That says words the  effect “” reply to last post””  Is that the one that allows me to reply ?       .... Ray 

The little box says  [ quote 1 post ] !     Is that the one that  I touch to  give my reply,     ? 

There is a box below last post in this topic saying "Reply to this topic" you type new post in there.

No delete, but I guess you can edit, remove all the details in that post and for clarity put something like "*** delete by Ray **, then Rich may be along in a bit and remove them for you.

On 28/11/2020 at 15:19, SMARTLY said:

There is a box below last post in this topic saying "Reply to this topic" you type new post in there.

No delete, but I guess you can edit, remove all the details in that post and for clarity put something like "*** delete by Ray **, then Rich may be along in a bit and remove them for you.

Guess what you guys !   Success is mine, !! Just been shown where I was going wrong,   I hope so anyway,    Does anyone know when  W.I.M is closing for Christmas  break,