Lowering MX-5 Mk3

Ray collins

Hi,  I have a beautiful MX5 NC 2L     And want to know the cheapest  price I can expect to pay to have it lowered 30mm I live in Epping Essex    My intention is to have it lowered after Christmas  (The NC looks as if it’s on stilts)      I only want to use it for simple drives   around the locality where I live,     Ideas please    Springs or Coilovers    and where to have the work done  near me in Essex   Thanks guys 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We only use Eibach lowering coils so your insurance isn't violated.

The coils -30 mm, fitting, geometry calibration and vat would cost £405.

Coilovers you need to commit to the best options?.... For the best results we use MeisterR due to the superb build, coil rates and top support but this comes at a price.

The coils, fitting, setting the pre-load, geometry calibration, and future fine-tuning costs £1100.00. Gulp!!...

I quite like the  simpler system  of Lowering springs  rather than Coilovers Tony,    My car is quite low milage and being the Sports model it has  adequate damping shocks etc,     After Christmas   I will deliver my car to you  for a set of lowing springs to be fitted,    I live quite a way from you  - Epping -     It would be helpful  to me.  If a date - nearer the time - could be set.   So that  my car can come in and  be dealt with  rather than hanging around  until a slot can be found to do the work  etc,    My preference would be   Bring it in and pick it up  a day or two later.   For logistic reasons.  I  will only have a  slot  from someone who can follow me up. Bring me home and bring me back to pick the car up. Etc.  Thanks Tony.  I await your advices,    Ray.   I’m 79 years of age   And  won’t relish the journey both ways on motorways etc. Just added that to fill you in  on why I  seek a  Time slot  etc.. Ray

Hi Tony,  thanks for your reply.  And  price,    That’s a yes from me.   See you straight after Christmas to arrange dates etc, Ray.   I would just add.   My car is  in  mint condition.   Garaged from new.   So you shouldn’t have any problems with seized  bolts etc,   Ray

1 hour ago, Tony said:

We only use Eibach lowering coils so your insurance isn't violated.

The coils -30 mm, fitting, geometry calibration and vat would cost £405.

Coilovers you need to commit to the best options?.... For the best results we use MeisterR due to the superb build, coil rates and top support but this comes at a price.

The coils, fitting, setting the pre-load, geometry calibration, and future fine-tuning costs £1100.00. Gulp!!...will

Hi, again Tony  Re the request for your company to supply and fit lowering springs onto my MX5 N3  after Christmas.  As you have probably noted  I am 79  and don’t fully understand  Internet  jargon or procedures.   At 79 I am “ away with the fairies “  I  am getting feedback from you   Via these threads    But  I need to know  that you will do the work for me after Christmas. So that I can  stop looking elsewhere  etc.  Best regards Tony    From Ray ...

Haha OMG,   I feel like Charlie Bananas this morning Because Tony’  has given me my   ‘own slot’.  so that I can just ‘Drive myself barmy  instead of driving the rest of you   off your trollies,   
Anyway     I suppose  At 79 I have  earned my right to  become  a bit  odd ...

I have phoned  Wheels in Motion  and  - because of this pandemic -  There is little backlog of  people wanting work done on their cars  etc    So now seems a good time to give them a phone call    I spoke to ‘Joe’  an extremely nice and helpful guy    I thought I detected a huge   sigh of  ‘relief‘     as he put the phone down..   I’m  looking forward  to having my MX5 NC 2L  lowered by 30mm   (They really are too high on the OMC springs) ,    
My car is already fitted out with  a IL motorsport  stainless steel exhaust   And a K&N air filter,    Sounds fantastic  too, 

I have only had my car about a month,  I answered an advert    It told me that the car was Immaculate  and that any potential buyer should   “bring their money with them”    Because  “they would  definitely buy it” etc ..    And  how pleased I was that I believed what the advert had said,    The car  should be in a “ Museum “    It has spent its entire life  in a garage  going out   only on sunny days ...     Once I have had the car Lowered  by  ‘Wheels- in motion’    I think I will then finish the look  by bringing  the wheels out about an inch on  spacers,    Should look  lovely then,    Anyway folks  If there is anyone listening to this thread    Apart from myself and my cat,   Keep safe   And have a good Christmas ....Ray..

•  

Oh,  I have just noticed it was “ Rich “ ( the Forum Manager ) who decided to give me a  ‘ slot of my own ‘   Tony is Probably still resting   curled up in a corner of the workshop  Under a Work bench mumbling to himself.. After encountering my earlier batch of  Questions.   But hey! At 79  I am  ‘ away with the fairies ‘   It happens ! 

11 hours ago, Rich said:

Hi Ray,

Welcome to WIM :)

I have split your posts in to this new thread rather than have it attached to a 12 year old one about backboxes.

If you need any help using the forum feel free to ask.

Thanks

The problem is   At my age (79)   I’m only just aware that I am alive    So  please  all be kind to me, Think of my wife who has endured my malarkey for 45 years and Yet. Appears still  To Be happy to wake up each morning,    

12 minutes ago, Tony said:

Any pictures of the car Ray.....

Well.   Yes I do have some photos  Tony   But  I haven’t a clue how to dispatch them   Onto these threads.   I just press buttons  on the internet and hope that something takes place somewhere else,   As for my  lowering springs    Once I sort out the dates with you guys  I will give you a days warning   In order that you can all call in sick ...   best regards...from  Ray   Keep safe you guys ...    
ps.    Rick ! /Tony !     Regards sending photos  etc,   Be nice to wait until I have had it lowered.  Then perhaps  you can insert them onto your web page for me, ?   Having taken them  whilst I am at your workshop having the work  done etc?  .. best from Ray,

To Tony or Rick.     Hi    Being as this pandemic is causing considerable problems throughout the various industries  ( including the car industry ). How much time  would you need  to slot me in for the lowering work to be carried out ?    I have been told it could be done whilst I wait    Save me  doing a  return journey ( twice ) of over 110 miles  on motorways etc ?    I might be able to have the work done    ‘sooner than expected‘     Do I just turn up ? Or do I need to book the car in ? Etc,    This idiocy of conversing with you By email on this thread  instead of just picking the phone up is a good indicator  of the cognitive decay  that has  taken its toll upon me,  
hope to see you.   “ sooner “ than  expected,  ...Ray.. 

Ray i have two rules here..

1: Be nice to other members

2: Obey all the rules

So don't worry about your navigation around the site.

To fully explain the coils. Mazda's sport option pack uses Eibach -30mm coils. If the car is a sport then it's already 15mm lower than the non sport.

If the dampers are black then they are oil, if they are yellow then they are gas.

The Eibach coils work with both types of dampers because the coil rate is the same as the original coils. 

Blimey,   Was the combined Harvester in a field at the time harvesting the crop ?    Surely my recent batch of emails didn’t have  this affect on you Tony,     Anyway,  should your recent  reply  been a bit of  ‘tongue  in cheek‘  Then  Good Retort.    Otherwise - if true -  hope  you are ok ....    I won’t end my reply with my usual message i.e  (“” keep safe”” ) It might be a bit late of  advice for you !    Take care all of you at Wheels-inmotion ..  

Just a thought Tony     Had the combined Harvester  done its job     We would all have to look in our bread for a bit of “shedded Tony”  ... of course. I am jesting    Because,  your reply indicated to me that you  Come through the ordeal   And just resting,    Good stuff... 

On 24/05/2008 at 20:48, tailslides said:

Hi, I am following your lead, Tony did my springs and calibration and now I need it to sound as good as it drives, how do you rate the IL Motorsport exhaust now you have had it a while?

Knd regards

Pete

I have  the iL Motorsport exhaust    And it sounds  just right,    There are two types. The single ‘can‘  and the double ‘can’

I have the earlier single ‘can’   Type,     It sounds just right.  And the later one is said to sound even nicer,    Ray  

Thanks Tony,  I fully agree With your set of rules..   I have navigated around the forum a few times already.  Because I  Haven’t a clue  what I am doing most of the time on the internet,   I just press buttons and hope that  something or someone Receives something at the other end,        However    I do understand that  you are running a business and are not  too keen on  ‘reading  and replying’  to  ‘Unnecessary   innuendo’    You will already  have noted that I  Can go off on a tangent Without any encouragement,  
However  I will refrain from this malarkey   and limit my posts to  matters of importance. ... get well soon.  I’m coming to your place on Thursday for a set of lowering springs,  Ray.  Ps.  Been quoted £405.  Is that  all in ?   Parts and Labour etc, Best Regards from  Ray Collins .... 

Although wim is a business the forum allows people interactive options. All, most geometry topics allow members a chance to read a topic, go back and read it again and if they need to understand talk. 

I like to talk in the lounge on any topic because that allows members to realize i'm human and geometry is not a grey art.

Rich is top admin, and he helps out of sight to correct any placing mistakes including mine.... He also corrects spelling mistakes again including mine.