Insurance NCB being capped

Rich

With regards to excess I take it you are talking about voluntary excess ? 

With regards to NCB do some years the maximum some will use is 9 years, normally on getting a quote you can only select from a list an over 9 years is normally top of the list. If somebody has let you enter 16 years then that’s probably the exception to the rule. Do you have protected NCB on your policy ?

This year my renewal was £245 down from £263 and then £20 off for renewing online 😀

37 minutes ago, SMARTLY said:

With regards to excess I take it you are talking about voluntary excess ? 

With regards to NCB do some years the maximum some will use is 9 years, normally on getting a quote you can only select from a list an over 9 years is normally top of the list. If somebody has let you enter 16 years then that’s probably the exception to the rule. Do you have protected NCB on your policy ?

This year my renewal was £245 down from £263 and then £20 off for renewing online 😀

No compulsory excess. I always set voluntary to £0 as increasing it only reduces the premiums by a few quid. I'd rather pay that than risk paying hundreds in excess. Yes I always protect my NCB too.

The car is not even worth £1k so there's no way I'm chancing it with £500 excess. I may get £45 cashback with the AA too so if the quote is similar going directly to them it won't be too bad.

The AA allows you to type in the number of years NCB you have, so I entered 17. Tescos is also the same. There are a few other companies that accept more than 9 years.

Who are you with? I've not heard of anyone giving money off for renewing online 👍

8 minutes ago, SMARTLY said:

Just checked my renewal after I had paid, ie insurance for next 12 months and it says NCB 16 years !!!

Is that right then?

Have you queried it? How many years did you say you have?

I emailed Hastings my letter of 15 years from 2 years a go. They replied saying they've uploaded proof of 15 years to my account, (they haven't!) and when my policy ends they'll upload another with 17 years. So hopefully they will and I won't have to chase them for it!

I emailed Hastings again, seems they didn't explain very well. They uploaded my letter of 15 years to their system, not my online account. Once my policy finishes I need to email again and they'll send me a letter stating I have 17 years.

I renewed the insurance last night with the AA. I'll never understand insurance systems but the cheapest comparison price with just roadside breakdown was £266. 

Top cashback offer £45 so I did another quote directly and it was £288 without the breakdown cover!

Then I went through TCB to confused.com and did another new quote which was the same price of £266. They offer £35 cashback.

Clicked through to the AA and checked the details. They had my job title completely wrong so I changed that and the quote dropped to £230 with breakdown. I opted for recovery too which added another £15 but hopefully the cashback covers that. Although it's not tracked yet!

I went through my AA policy documents yesterday and came across the part for NCB. They accept up to 20 years, so if you're with a company who only give 9 years it's definitely worth chasing them up for a letter stating how many you actually have.

Yes the difference is only 5% between 9 and 20 years but that's better in my pocket than theirs! 🙂

723211765_Screenshot_20211003-205929_AdobeAcrobat.thumb.jpg.eb940750c00d47e7387eef3d18d756c5.jpg