Neighbours Nissan note.. Wrong fuel help

Well some friends / neighbours of ours dropped me a message last night asking for advice... 

Apparently he put around 7 liters of petrol in to his wife's diesel Nissan note, this equates to around 17% of the tank capacity. He realised his mistake and brimmed the tank with diesel. 

What makes things worse is that he drove it home as he panicked! 

I'm after some general advice on what to do next. Shall I remove the fuel pump and use some clean hose to try and syphon as much of the fuel out the tank as possible, once the majority of the diesel is out I was thinking of dropping the tank to get as much of the contaminated fuel out.. I guess also to drain the fuel lines too. 

A fuel filter change is probably worth a shot too... 

Would you guys suggest anything else? Reading online it seems that this much fuel in the tank could really screw the fuel system.. But I'm hoping they are more horror stories than true or they will have an expensive issue on their hands

I'm sure I read somewhere that a small amount of petrol is ok in diesel but I guess that amount is too much. Hopefully a drain and filter change is all it needs.

Having cars with both fuels I still don't see how people make that mistake. Petrol is green and diesel is black.

Well. Yesterday was the day to do the job. 

Aim:

1)remove low pressure fuel pump and syphon out of tank using a hose

2)Clear out fuel lines

3) replace fuel filter

4)put everything back together

Expected duration 2-3 hrs.. 

Reality :

1) could not remove 160mm cap that secures low pressure pump in the tank. We spent hours trying to get it undone with a plethora of tools and different methods. Pro tip: spend the £15 and get the proper tool in advance. 

We ended up getting a small drill powered pump and sucking the fuel out the tanks pump.. It worked but boy it was slow... Time taken 1hr to empty just shy of 40 liters. 

2) not as easy as I expected! Ended up doing this last by putting fresh diesel in the tank and using the priming pump to pull it through, took ages! 

3) to get to the fuel filter, I only had to remove the battery, airbox, intake pipe, turbo intake pipe.... The fuel filter is situated on the engine bulkhead, so 3 very awkwardly positioned nuts were undone and filter removed... At this point we find out nissan sold me the wrong fuel filter... 1h round trip to the Nissan garage to get the right one and it fits. Re fit the filter, turbo intake pipe, airbox, battery and intake pipe... 

Primed the system and it started up no problem, checked all fittings for leaks ect and it all looked OK. 

Actul time taken... 6hrs!

Can I get my day back please 

• Like 1

Cheers guys.

So the friends I did it for are not very well off so I only got them to pay for the replacement fuel filter and the 5l of diesel I got for them. They did transfer an extra £10 over to me which was kind of them and whilst it was a ball ache, I wasn't doing it for the cash... Most likely that £10 will go towards a nice bunch of flowers for Amy (My Wife). 

The 40L of diesel is sat in 2 containers in the garage, advertised for £25 on Facebook and gumtree. I have clearly stated its been tainted with about 7L of petrol, but it will be good for someone. 

Did have one person interested but he's a no show and over an hour late so I'm not holding My breath on this one. 

The AA to which they are members of said it would cost them £180 just to drain the tank, thats not including the fuel line flush that we did, or a new filter

I ended up selling the fuel a day or so ago, posted on Facebook marketplace and some pikey came and collected, paid his money and went. 

Got £20 for it, so it's better than just sitting in the garage smelling the place out.