The Is My Tyre Ok Thread

Rich

An idea came to me about having a single thread for asking if damaged or worn tyres are ok.

So if you have a split, cracks, chunks missing or uneven wear then post some photos in this thread and Tony (or others) can give their opinion on whether it is ok or needs further investigating. 

Remember this will only be opinions so no one is liable if a tyre is used and something happens!

I've just dug the Lexus summer tyres out of the shed and found a small sharp stone embedded in one of them. After removing it the cut is about 4-5mm deep. Does this still look ok to drive on?

There's not much tread left so they'll be used until October and then replaced next year. Probably covering under 500 miles.

20200701_134057_copy_907x1612.thumb.jpg.154927f9433859accf91c9a38ad68da7.jpg

20200701_134205_copy_907x1612.thumb.jpg.f25ad92220dfa86d538dfb56b68ad538.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of new ones from the winter tyres on the Lexus.

The first is a sharp stone I dug out. It's made a cut around 8-9mm deep. There is at least 4-5mm of tread left. I don't think it has gone down to the cords but if you remove the tread blocks how thick is the rubber that's left?

20200710_171419_copy_1612x907.thumb.jpg.d6b769b40c7884a1e3854820380ad0aa.jpg

The other is on the front tyres. Every 9 or 10 set of blocks seems to have no snipes left. The rears have a little more tread left and might show signs of this on individual blocks but the front is across the width of the tyre. What's caused this?

20200710_172641_copy_1612x907.thumb.jpg.8a9304b1aaea20abb383918dd39e68e5.jpg

20200710_172652_copy_1612x907.thumb.jpg.be9d05347a83c1d54ae25e3f0e45a378.jpg

20200710_172704_copy_1612x907.thumb.jpg.d8fcad7ab23fb6b8fe56ed1efa055e3f.jpg

The rule here is are the construction visible? The cut could look alarming but if the damage is confined to the tread area even an MOT have to pass..... Dont get me wrong i wouldn't like it but it depends on your purse.

But where do you draw the line, for all I know that could be just above the cords. Ideally it would be replaced but I don't have the money for that. I may even ditch the winter tyres when these have worn right down. The last few winters have been very mild and with the little mileage we now do I'm wondering if it's worth it.

What about the sipes, is that wear normal? Seems odd they've worn more on only certain blocks of tread.

The pattern of wear is called "heel and toe".... if you look at the tread blocks you can see they are intermittent sizes. The reason for this is to cut down the harmonics. If they were all the same size then this would open a harmonic consistency. 

The drone is very often diagnosed as a worn bearing.

On 11/07/2020 at 21:46, SMARTLY said:

Is the wear on the snipes on the drive wheels? If so old days - judder, tramping ?

Yes on the fronts. No juddering or anything like that, seems to drive fine.

8 hours ago, Tony said:

The pattern of wear is called "heel and toe".... if you look at the tread blocks you can see they are intermittent sizes. The reason for this is to cut down the harmonics. If they were all the same size then this would open a harmonic consistency. 

The drone is very often diagnosed as a worn bearing.

Yes I noticed the block sizes were different. I did think of heel and toe but isn't that caused by the toe angle being out?

I've never had the geo checked on the Lexus and even though the wear is even across the tyre could it be worth a look? It must only be out a fraction as I've not noticed anything odd.

• 2 months later...

What thread is that post supposed to be in Tony and I'll move it?

Those tyres look really bad for 3 years old. As Adam said I've got tyres twice that age and they look fine. 

Does the car sit around a lot?

17 minutes ago, Rich said:

What thread is that post supposed to be in Tony and I'll move it?

Those tyres look really bad for 3 years old. As Adam said I've got tyres twice that age and they look fine. 

Does the car sit around a lot?

It did sit for few months before I bought it. I read somewhere that it is quite common with these F1 EAGLE RUN FLATS. They are marked as OEM for Alfa. Changing tham for Contis this Saturday plus full geometry. At Blackboots obviously .

16 minutes ago, Tony said:

Any lights on the dash?...... We do keep TPMS but unable to cover the entire range.... If there's no warning light on then we will be fine.

Our machinery is designed not to touch the wheel.

No lights. It shows the pressures of each wheel as it should.