Fujifilm Macro

Sagitar

It's twelve weeks today since the boss and I started our isolation and we haven't been off our own premises in all that time, other than to make a couple of trips to the hospital for blood tests. I have to go for another blood test next Tuesday and I'm beginning to get quite excited at the thought that I will get to drive about a fifteen miles round trip. 

The only thing that's keeping me sane is doing some photography and even there I'm beginning to run out of ideas for things to do.

I always enjoyed doing some macro photography and in the days when I used Canon gear I had a couple of really good macro lenses that let me get good butterfly pics and some excellent pics of much tinier creatures.

The Fuji lenses that I use now are excellent but Fuji have not produced much in the way of macro lenses. I have both of the macro lenses that are in their catalogue; one is a 60mm lens and the other, 80mm. They are both a bit short, which means that you have to get very close to the target, in order to produce a one to one image. Getting too close means that I inevitably frighten off the subject before I get to focus and click the shutter.

I spent some time this afternoon seeing what I could do with the 80mm lens after adding a 1.4 times lens extender. It makes focusing a bit more difficult and it adds but little to the lens to subject distance, but I think it might be worth a try.

For today's experiments I used a wrapped toffee that's about the same size as a large butterfly as the subject. The light wasn't good and hand holding was difficult so I had to use a large aperture and didn't get very god depth of field. Tomorrow I'll try again outdoors and if I'm lucky I might even spot a butterfly.

DSCF0219A.jpg.6f49c9e5d104a96539cf1a85f66f3f0c.jpg 

This is a jpeg straight out of the camera and with no processing other than to reduce the long side to 800 pixels. i.e. no cropping.

• Like 1

It didn't get much better outdoors and in the end I went back to the straightforward 80mm macro lens.

I had almost no luck in finding any bugs to photograph. The picture shows a tiny bug that I haven't been able to identify as either moth or butterfly. He is really tiny, The pink blossoms on which he is resting I have measured carefully as being 5mm diameter. You can make your own estimate of the size of the creature from that.

If anyone knows what it is, do please tell me.

DSCF0246A.jpg.68ab772abb5d4ad949a5cea8d8dcbbfd.jpg

Try Google Lens. I put the photo into that and it said Mint Moth or Bee. It's great for plants and flowers too.

My first bridge camera had a macro feature on it and I love closeup shots like that. I haven't got a macro lens for the DSLR though. 

2 hours ago, Tony said:

Isn't that belittling the whole reason in creating the perfect picture..... And say "I took that". 

I'm not sure what you're on about, who's belittling what?

Maybe Tony has misunderstood the reference to Google Lens. It's a piece of Artificial Intelligence software that helps to identify images. I use it often, but it doesn't always work. I tried it on the first of my images of this tiny moth but it didn't work on that image. I think there probably wasn't enough of the wing pattern showing. It was a very small image and I couldn't get close enough to the subject to increase its size, because of the tangle of flower stems around it.

When the moth moved I was able to get a lot closer to it and to find an angle that let me see the wing pattern clearly. When I tried the second image with Google Lens,  it identified it unambiguously as a Mint Moth. 

The second image magnifies the subject a lot; maybe six or seven times on my monitor. The moth is only about 10mm, wing tip to wing tip.

I really, really like that...... It's almost a wonderland and i could sit there for hours and hours....... You know what... in the evening i sit in the garden watching the house Martians feed as they feed, they are so fast and i assume dusk is feed time since most bugs slow down as the air becomes cold.