Charging 12v hybrid battery with Ctek charger

The reason they specify a agm battery is due to the risk of passenger being splashed with battery acid in the event of a accident due to the mounting location. It makes no difference to the cars operation as you know it has very little work to actually do

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah I know but I'd rather be safe than sorry and use a GEL one. Seems Lexus batteries are on back order now so a lot of people must've had flat ones!

Since charging mine settled on 12.46v for a while and seems to drop 00.01v a week. I'm going to fit it to the car within the next week and take it for a run before things start seizing up!

• 3 weeks later...

Well the battery seemed to become stable at 12.41v. I put it on charge again the other day (no I still haven't put it back in the car!) and it took under an hour to go through the stages. The battery was still on 12.41v. I'm guessing it was higher on the first charge I did cos it was flatter and the charger had to work harder.

I'm hoping to get the car back on the road this week. Fingers crossed the hybrid battery is ok.

Left the battery for another week and it was reading 12.40v so I fitted it and connected the comfort lead.

Should the battery ground terminal spark when connected? The positive obviously went on first and then the ground. The alarm sounded as soon as I connected it.

The car started with no issues and I left it running for 40 minutes. Will take it for a run this week.

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/06/2020 at 20:21, Rich said:

Left the battery for another week and it was reading 12.40v so I fitted it and connected the comfort lead.

Should the battery ground terminal spark when connected? The positive obviously went on first and then the ground. The alarm sounded as soon as I connected it.

The car started with no issues and I left it running for 40 minutes. Will take it for a run this week.

still going alright Rich? 

10 hours ago, eddie said:

still going alright Rich? 

I've only driven it twice since refitting the battery but yes it's been fine so far.

The mpg had reset itself and the radio but apart from that everything else was ok.

On 14/07/2020 at 00:52, Rich said:

I've only driven it twice since refitting the battery but yes it's been fine so far.

The mpg had reset itself and the radio but apart from that everything else was ok.

These cars are made to last to be honest 

• 1 month later...

The Lexus hasn't been used for a while so I connected the Ctek to the comfort lead and plugged it in. Checked an hour later and it was still only on stage 3. The charger was also very hot. When charging indoors off the car it barely gets warm.

I started the car instead and left it to run for an hour but could it be the comfort lead that's the issue or something else? The lead is connected directly to the main terminal bolts. Unless this is affecting the current. Maybe next time I should try the clamps on the battery and see what happens.

It does seem as though it is using a lot of current. There is no reason why you can't charge through the comfort connector from a physical or current handling point of view.

I don't know the CT200 - Do they recommend disconnecting anything at all Rich in case it is kicking something off in the car using the current? The charger hasn't jumped out of AGM mode or anything has it? 

Could the battery just be very low so using more current to charge it?

Lexus says to disconnect the negative terminal when charging. The next time I'll use the clamps on the battery and see what happens. If that doesn't work then I'll disconnect it.

Others on the Lexus forum have used the comfort lead without issue and also the jump terminals under the bonnet.

The BMW we have, the manual says to charge using the under bonnet terminals as well rather than pull the boot apart.