Opinions why? are welcome..

Tony

• 3 weeks later...

No.... What i would do is remove all the studs bar one. With the remaining stud lose we would hammer the rear of the wheel with a mallet..... Then clean the corrosion from the wheel and the hub.

When wheels have been stuck for me I undo all the nuts 2 turns then lower the car. The weight of the car on the wheel normally unseat the wheel from the hub. Jack the car back up and then remove all the nuts. 

If extra persuasion is required, whilst the car is lowered with weight on the wheel, give it a kick or wobble the car and that's been enough to do it. 

(above has always worked for me, but only had to do it on 2 cars) 

On 14/05/2020 at 18:15, adam_r said:

When wheels have been stuck for me I undo all the nuts 2 turns then lower the car. The weight of the car on the wheel normally unseat the wheel from the hub. Jack the car back up and then remove all the nuts. 

If extra persuasion is required, whilst the car is lowered with weight on the wheel, give it a kick or wobble the car and that's been enough to do it. 

(above has always worked for me, but only had to do it on 2 cars) 

Years ago my mate bought a Capri and the rear wheels were so stuck nothing we tried would shift them , in the end we loosened the wheel nuts a few turns and got him to drive around the block and over those really severe rubber speed bumps , still no joy, in the end we tried a handbrake turn and that did it 

Its getting them off in the first place , I had to remove the rear wheel on my mums Polo GTI and it was well stuck and needed a mallet to get it off , the car is a 19 plate with around 2000 miles on it . It wont stick again I'm sure as ive cleaned and sprayed the hubs with fluid film 

When i worked for STS some years back i held a free "how too" day mainly for females to educate how to use the spare tyre in the event.

From day one at wim I never allowed air guns to remove or fit wheels..

Now not everyone understands why but air guns use a hammer type of tightening which most times is way above the correct torque.

My main mission was to explain how to undo the over torqued wheel nuts.....?

"How?"......  A simple method is to place the wheel nut/ lever remover and the use the jack to apply a undo force. 

Its surprising how few people know how to change a wheel. I had to teach a 50yr old neighbour how to safely remove his wheels the other week as he wanted my opinion on his brakes. He covers about 30k miles per year and didnt have a clue 

When I was taught to drive in the military changing wheels and basic checks (POWER) ie (Petrol, oil, water, electrical and rubber) were taught before you got behind the wheel

• Like 1