wim is now closed....

Tony

Purely for the safety of the staff and the lockdown we have decided that we have no option other than close the centre.

Obviously I regret cars we have booked in and those I cannot contact to warn them we are shut.

Elaine as of today has to work from home and we found out her boss and sister both have the virus. Purely by contact it's possible i have it and there's no way i'm going to pass this on to our valuable staff..

• Like 1

I thought Elaine was already working from home? That's not good, it can take 14 days to show symptoms so her boss could have already passed it to her, her to you, you to the other WIM staff and customers. This is why it was so important to distance ourselves from everyone.

No one should be travelling unless it's for food and work so those booked at the centre shouldn't even be coming now.

All her pc's were moved today but setting everything up is another story.....I'm belligerent about everything but i want to work.... Seems it's Jayson and me Saturday, the rest of the team we won't to protect, so they will be off work.

Everyone wants to work who are now at home but it's just not worth the risk. So you've gone from being closed an hour a go to now being open on Saturday!

What customers are you going to get when they're not allowed to travel unless it's for essential work, food or medicine?

12 hours ago, Tony said:

I'm belligerent about everything but i want to work.... Seems it's Jayson and me Saturday, the rest of the team we won't to protect, so they will be off work.

I'm not overly active here, but know enough that you have some pretty serious underlying health concerns.

The lockdown is happening to prevent the spread of people in high risk categories - eg - those with underlying health concerns.

Millions of people are staying home and practicing serious social distancing to stop you and others around the country, from getting this virus, and dying. Respect that, and STAY AT HOME.

There are government stimulus packages to tide the company over while it is closed - get researching how to sign up to those, and you can continue paying your staff at least 80% of their normal wage as a grant from the government. You're free to top that up if you wish. It means your staff can stay home, still be earning the majority of their paycheck, without risk of catching or spreading the virus.

I have some cars to do because i couldn't contact them.... All the guys here were given the option work or stay at home.

As far as enforced shut-down we are allowed to open because we are a garage, meaning our operation is making cars mobile for customers and forces. My issue is i do not want staff exposed unless they are willing.

What about your customers being exposed to it. Are you wiping down the steering wheel, gear stick and door handles after driving them off the ramp. Are you wiping down the reception door handles and other surfaces like the coffee machine buttons and card payment machine. This virus is highly infectious!

Steering wheel, handbrake and gear knob are being covered. Other that we are not a hospital so there is a limit we can preserve. If you look at it this way what about the customer exposing our staff?

So you think you may have it yet you are going to work and come in contact with other people rather than isolate? What if it kills them or they then infect others that die because you passed it on? You probably won't know but could you live with that? It's all about protecting EVERYONE, not just yourself. It's not about whether you are allowed or not if you think there is a high chance you or your partner have it

If you suspect you have it and you pass it on, there could be chance of legal action considering google will have this forum in it's cache for the next 5 years.

My nieces best friends Dad died the night before last with it. Although funerals are allowed, because she has a high chance of having it she can't go. Most of the close family are potentially infected so they can't go. Local councils are working with funeral directors for enforcing this, with Police backup if necessary - something they didn't mention in the announcement. The family is absolutely distraught. They have no idea how he caught it.

You could do that to someone.

Sorry Tony but your attitude about this virus is very blaise and you don't seem to be taking it seriously. You are high risk, Elaine is high risk (from what you've said before) and I forgot you actually thought you have it so you should be self isolating now.

By keeping the centre open you are allowing customers to expose themselves to you, that is your choice. I don't think covering the steering wheel and gear knob is enough, you need to be cleaning key contact points. I am assuming you haven't done anything else with other contact points. Many other businesses are putting statements on their websites/emails about what precautions they are taking during this virus outbreak and they are taking it very seriously. Many businesses have closed even if the Government is allowing them to remain open.

If Prince Charles can catch it then you can, no one is immune to this.

8 hours ago, Tony said:

Steering wheel, handbrake and gear knob are being covered. Other that we are not a hospital so there is a limit we can preserve. If you look at it this way what about the customer exposing our staff?

Put it this way, if you knew someone potentially had the virus, would you let them work on your car?

Lexus aren't hospitals either but this list is off the is official doc for their engineers to clean with an antiviral wipe :

1 Exterior door handles
2 Frame of door and roof
3 Interior door release
4 Window switches
5 Interior door handle
6 Door pocket
7 Seatbelts
8 Seatbelt clips
9 Seat adjust buttons
10 Steering wheel
11 Horn
12 Control stalks
13 Driver air vents
14 Dashboard
15 Power button
16 Gear shift
17 Multimedia screen
18 Central air vents
19 Heating controls
20 Glovebox
21 Log book
22 Central storage compartment
23 Cupholders
24 Rear-view mirror
25 Interior lights
26 Grab handle
27 Key
28 Head rests
29 Seat pockets
30 Rear central tab
31 Fuel cap
32 Wheel valves
33 Boot lid
34 Parcel shelf
35 Boot floor tab
36 Boot close button
37 Bonnet lid
38 Washer cap
39 Dipstick
40 Oil cap

It only takes a couple of coughs in the confinement of a car and you have potentially infected a number of these surfaces. It's not just about touching them.

I think we all have opinions about handling this virus and all are right. We gave the staff options to give them a chance to abide their direction.

Most of the customers have booked won't come in understandably... If anyone at the centre showed signs of the condition then we will lock the doors.

The government allows an interest free loan so that staff get paid and then we need to apply for the loan.

We lost one fitter yesterday be he started to fee unwell, another member is in isolation because he lives with is grandfather and another to protect his elderly parents.

We are critically understaffed now so we had a team meeting this morning and gave those remaining an option to remain open but with limited to local business. Five out of five agreed to stay open.

If Gareth who went home yesterday because he was feeling ill and proved infective then we will totally close.

I despair! If you were a traditional garage I could sort of understand you staying open as key workers still need servicing and repairs done so they can work. Wheel alignment isn't essential! The Government are giving grants not loans, they will cover the wages!

You should barely have anyone coming to the garage now apart from key workers but then I can only see them needing tyres. You can't be busy now. If people are still coming then they shouldn't be. This is all just going to lead to a full lockdown cos people just can't seem to do as they're told.

You are high risk and you need to be self isolating. I really don't get it. Boris has it, Prince Charles and other MPs. Still think there is a low chance of you getting it? 

It sounds like it's too late now if Gareth has gone home ill. Was that with a cough and high temperature?

• Like 1

The government covers 80% at an interest free loan to the company, so it's not pain free..

Staying open is 100% down to the staffs agreement..... Today i nothing to calibrate so i spent all day cleaning contact points...That's as fair as we can be for our customers and staff. 

No Tony that is absolutely wrong - someone has mis-informed you. I suspect there is confusion with the Business Interruption Loan Scheme. That's for short term cashflow support.

This is the Job Retention Scheme and done through PAYE. Both are different and applied for separately. 

Have you designated your workers to the HMRC yet through the portal? You need to do this as soon as possible as you've said you have a few who have decided to not come to work. (And rightly so).

Who in your company does this? The owner or do you have a company secretary? Whoever it is needs to get their facts right and sort this immediately. They have a responsibility. This isn't going to end soon and will affect your employees. Employees may miss out and the company may struggle if you have been paying them. It is backdated to 1st March too. Your VAT and TAX have been deferred as well so don;t submit them.

• Like 1

Yep you've got your facts wrong Tony, like I said it's a grant not a loan. There's absolutely no reason for any of you to be in, even more so with no work to do!

Doesn't Elaine work in finances, she could explain it to you. 

Tony: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-to-employers-and-businesses-about-covid-19/covid-19-guidance-for-employees

Specifically:

Furloughed workers

If you and your employer both agree, your employer might be able to keep you on the payroll if they’re unable to operate or have no work for you to do because of coronavirus (COVID-19). This is known as being ‘on furlough’.

You could get paid 80% of your wages, up to a monthly cap of £2,500.

If your salary is reduced as a result of these changes, you may be eligible for support through the welfare system, including Universal Credit.

Check if you could be covered by the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme.

Get in touch with whoever manages your Payroll, or your accountants - they'll be able to give you concrete information on how to arrange this. If it snot you, then make sure whoever is responsible does it - sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Geoffers said:

Your VAT and TAX have been deferred as well so don't submit them.

Just for clarity, you do have to tell them though. Again it is through your portal. Very easy application, just tell them you have closed temporarily. You won't be approved if you haven't closed and still have to pay.

It takes just minutes on the Portal. You'll have to do those that are isolating now unless the company is footing their wages but you don;t need to. (Your choice if you want to make up the last 20% for them).

• Like 1