Another new car.

Viking

A couple of months ago my world turned upside down. The wife left me and took the Tiguan with her.

I was absolutely devastated, I thought I'd never get over it, and I didn't know what to do next or how I was going to survive. I loved that car.

But it's gone, so it dawned on me that I could now buy myself a car, rather than buy her one. Don't fret too much, I'm keeping the Yeti as the works car and I've been looking for my ideal weekend / personal enjoyment car.  This weekend I found it...

audi-a5-3.jpg

audi-a5-4.jpg

audi-a5-8.jpg

It was a little more expensive than I wanted to pay, but it was the best colour I'd seen (Quartz Grey) and the spec list was immense.

Front & rear parking sensors, adaptive cruise control, B & O Sound System, Multimedia package (DVD drive and 2 sd card slots, ipod/usb connection), full cream leather, electric adjustable seats with drivers memory function, paddle shift on the steering wheel, rear window electric blind, front AND rear heated seats, folding and auto-dimming door mirrors and auto-dimming interior mirror, and probably some other stuff I've forgotten...

It's the 3.0ltr TDI Quattro but it's not the S Line. Someone has thoughtfully added S Line badges to the wings and installed an S Line steering wheel though, just for a nice touch.

Happy motoring.

1 hour ago, Viking said:

or how I was going to survive. I loved that car.

:lol:

Very nice.

I wish I had adaptive cruise control. Cruise without it isn't as good as it could be and a bit of a pain sometimes.

Great colour and specs too.

And this evening I tackled a rather annoying fault. The fuel filler flap was sitting proud of the bodywork, and looked as though it'd been bodged with glue after someone snapped off the painted flap part.

So, I spent all day tracking down breakers and trying to get a new flap assembly in the correct colour, but they were either sold or damaged worse than the one I had. Eventually I checked Etka (electronic parts cataloge) and found that the painted surface part simply clips into place. So I prised it off, loosening the glue which was hardly holding it, and took it inside to investigate.

Upshot of it is, someone had clearly pulled the part off before somehow (caught it with the fuel filler hose or a handbag strap or something) and had tried double sided sticky tape and copious amouts of glue to stick it back on. Well it was stuck on, but the tape pushed it so far out of place that it was nowhere near flush.

I cleaned off all the tape and glue and simply clipped it correctly back into the correct position, then ran a small bead of silicone along the top and bottom edges to hold it securely in place. Job sorted. :D

Well fixed the headlight washers. A loose pipe refitted and a cable tie to hold it.

The bonnet strut has been replaced so now the bonnet stays open.

I've received a genuine Audi MMI USB cable today for a whole £5. Load a rake of music on an SSD hard drive and that's the lack of DAB radio sorted.

My navigation update pack has arrived so I'll get on to updating the sat nav and MMI system as soon as it's dry enough to.put the battery charger on while I do it (takes three hours).

There's not a lot of leg room in the rear for a large car, but I don't sit in the back, do I?   :D  On the test drive the guy sat in the front passenger seat and my mate sat in the back. He grumbled a bit, but the guy in the front was 6' tall.

As far as mpg, it's not really as bad as I was expecting. I filled up 15 miles from home, went shopping, cruised back down the motorway at legal limits, and checked when I got home, it'd done 51mpg. I'm happy with that on a run. But overall it was doing 31mpg for the last 1300 miles when I picked it up, but that wasn't me driving or my driving style.

• 5 weeks later...
On 09/03/2020 at 22:12, Geoffers said:

:lol:

Very nice.

I wish I had adaptive cruise control. Cruise without it isn't as good as it could be and a bit of a pain sometimes.

Great colour and specs too.

:lol: this bit made me chuckle some what too haha!!

Life with out a car you love and lost can be hard time's but you seem to be dealing with that very well and got something so much more,cloud with a silver lining and all that :D

Its a very nice car you have got yourself there Mr :)

• 9 months later...

Because I've started to become Tony. :lol:

I checked the MOT last year and I've done less than 500 miles. So it's just sitting there not being used while the girlfriend is spending £300 a month on her car. Money she can barely afford. Hers is coming to the end of lease in a couple of months and she'll need another, so the idea is sell the Audi, return her car at lease end and buy something suitable for her.

• Like 1