Mx-5 advice!

adam_r

I'm looking at getting this mx5 as a toy. Owner wants about £1k for it, but it does need work. 

I know next to nothing about these cars so advice from you lot is sought after. I have attached some pictures... 

Rear arches and bits of the cill needs some welding... So no idea how much that will cost either! 

IMG-20200309-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20200309-WA0025.jpg

IMG-20200309-WA0015.jpg

IMG-20200309-WA0017.jpg

IMG-20200309-WA0029.jpg

IMG-20200309-WA0023.jpg

IMG-20200309-WA0022.jpg

That's a MK2.5 and I believe the most model for the dreaded rust.

What's on the outside will be the same on the inside so budget a good few hundred quid to have all of that cut out and new metal welded in. Then you need to check the front chassis rails for rust too.

Are the tyres flat?

Roof looks fairly new or it's been cleaned.

Given how bad the rust is I would offer £500-£600.

Roof is new ish, all tyres are flat due to being in storage for 18 months. 

I was a little worried about the rust and was budgeting about 600 for repair... 

They were pretty strong about not taking less than 1k due the roof and other bits being so new :(

If the tyres have been sitting flat for that long the sidewalls may have split so I would personally want to replace them.

What other bits are new and can they be classed as new after 18 months. No MOT then so there could be other issues. Is it the 1.8?

With that rust I wouldn't pay more than £500 as it's a gamble. Plenty of others out there.

It's a nice car but on the advice above and a bit of digging... I have said no to the seller. 

Basic analysis came up with  600-1000 to get the rust sorted, 400 for a set of tyres, and budget of 400 again for other bits, battery, wipers and other stuff... I'm looking at between 2.4k to 2.8k for a toy... For 2.5k-3k there are nicer cars out there! 

On 10/03/2020 at 18:43, Tony said:

Nice car, good find.... Rust in that area isn't end of days since they make sill replacement arches.... Cut and shut.

It can be, it'll be even worse inside once you cut the outside panel off. Then there's the front chassis rails that rot too.

On 10/03/2020 at 19:21, adam_r said:

It's a nice car but on the advice above and a bit of digging... I have said no to the seller. 

Basic analysis came up with  600-1000 to get the rust sorted, 400 for a set of tyres, and budget of 400 again for other bits, battery, wipers and other stuff... I'm looking at between 2.4k to 2.8k for a toy... For 2.5k-3k there are nicer cars out there! 

I think you made the right decision, plenty of others out there in better condition.