Horror of the week 26/4/06

Tony

Continuing to remind you why we are here, this is this weeks example.

post-1-1146057072_thumb.jpg

This example was again from a Lexus IS200 but with a difference.

1: Unusually the wear was on the inside at the rear.

2: If you look close you can see how confined the wear is.... and it was due to the camber position 'the' (silent killer)

3: And this one got me?.... the owner had just replaced the front tyres because of the wear on the inner edges, then decided to come to me and have the geom set... but the shop failed to notice and warn the owner about the condition of the rear tyres, needless to say he was horrified, and the shop lost another sale?

Till next week then....

Anyone else got some horror pictures to show in the mean time?

Edited by Tony

i havent got a picture but was adjusting the front camber on a discovery 3 today and the offset washers were fitted incorrectly from the factory, the car was an 05 reg, on the drivers front camber bolt there is an off-set washer at either end, instead of both facing the same way one was 180 degrees out making the setting totaly imposible, no wonder the guy killed a tyre in 5,000 miles!

tony

maybe the picture but .......whats wrong with it ??

Look closely at the tyre were the drive shaft enters the hub..... that narrow band of white near the top is the inner construction of the tyre exposed due to the wear.... only 10mm wide but very deep in comparison to the rest of the tyre......... hence the 'silent killer'......... and horror of the week!

So its a new tyre then....... :)

Yep Crap Fit decided that the best way to preserve tyre wear would be to put the tread on the 'in side' of the tyre.... i think they have cornered the market since most cars they align experience this phenomenon

tony

maybe the picture but .......whats wrong with it ??

Look closely at the tyre were the drive shaft enters the hub..... that narrow band of white near the top is the inner construction of the tyre exposed due to the wear.... only 10mm wide but very deep in comparison to the rest of the tyre......... hence the 'silent killer'......... and horror of the week!

now its pointed out ....... :o

I had this on an MG ZR i owned.

I didn't notice it until one night i was parked outside the pub and left full lock on. As i came out I noticed the inside was down to the rope on both sides all round. Worrying thing was if i'd not noticed it i'd have had about 100 miles before a blowout and the way i drove that car it would have been big.

Way to kill a set of michelin pilot sports in 2600 miles, and you thought your friend was lucky...!

IMAGE_323.jpg

IMAGE_324.jpg

IMAGE_325.jpg

jon 'what mods' did the car have?..... since the wear is camber i assume it was lowered ;)

Also have a look at this baby..... tis my fav :D

post-2-1146600536_thumb.jpg

And no it's not from the track.... it's a 1500 mile new tyre subjected to 30mm of toe.

jon 'what mods' did the car have?..... since the wear is camber i assume it was lowered ;)

It was a stock MG ZR that didn't see a trackday on that set of pilot sports. Not sure what was wrong with the geometry but i know it was slightly out!

30mm of toe?! The car must have been undriveable. That's mega impressive scrub!

It was a stock MG ZR that didn't see a trackday on that set of pilot sports. Not sure what was wrong with the geometry but i know it was slightly out!

30mm of toe?! The car must have been undriveable. That's mega impressive scrub!

'Slightly out' :D ...... strange condition since the car is not known to me as a problem vehicle...

That 30mm indeed.... the owner bought the car S/H from a Main Dealer and he took it back several times complaining that it didn't feel right..... several times they told him all was well... on the motorway as the tyre hit the wire the noise made him stop then noticed the tyre wear... needless to say this event nearly ended up in court.... and little me was right in the middle :D