Can incorrect tracking cause wear on one tyre?

Does this imply that garages are (or might be) using generic alignment settings that are different from those used when the car was built? That might explain why more often than not, when I've had suspension work done on cars, and then alignment, they've never been quite the same again (usually drifting to the left).

• 1 year later...

A little late to the convo, but I had tracking done at Kia recently due to an on going pull to the left when driving. They said they fixed the tracking, but said the tyre wear is slightly uneven and recommended I replace both tyres. I've still got a good 2mm of legal tread on each tyre, so decided to save the money instead! I am still getting a pull to the left so I complained about this. The service advisor told me as the wear is uneven, nothing can be done until the tyres are replaced.

The wear across each tyre is in fact even, however the tread across the front left tyre 0.4mm less than the tread across the front right tyre. I am being told that this is the reason for the pull to the left. Can such a small difference in tread wear between two tyres cause such a pull to the left even though the tracking has been done? As an experienced driver, I have had occasions when I have had punctures and replaced one tyre with a much bigger difference in tread wear between the tyres and never noticed such a pull to either side when driving!

Kind regards

GF

(UK driver, Kia Niro EV 2022)

Or swap the front wheels over and see if it pulls the other way. If it does then it's caused by the tyre. How long has the pull been going on for, since they were new?

When they did the alignment did you get a printout?

• 1 month later...

Hi all.

I had alignment done on my current Mk3 Mondeo today (mentioned in my post of 22 November 2021). It became apparent that both front tyres were wearing excessively on the outer edges, but the left front in particular. That, and the obligatory off-centre steering wheel (right hand down). As the car was otherwise handling ok, I decided to leave everything alone until I needed to replace the front tyres (a few days ago).

Everyone loves a before and after alignment print-out, so here they are. Does the +ve toe on right front explain the tyre wear that I've described? I think it might. The rear alignment was ok, so I only had the front done (rear tyres are wearing evenly). It's early days, but just from the drive home it looks like I might finally have a Mondeo with a centered steering wheel, and hopefully even tyre wear.

Align Before 2.jpg

Align After 2.jpg

Yes, it's really interesting watching how they pull it all together. You can switch off the caster setting on the Hunter which a lot of people do, probably as they don't understand what the measurement is for. It used to drive Tony mad when this measurement had been greyed out!

You need to remember that the specs given by the manufacturer are only a guide/starting point for the geometry. Some got it very wrong like Lexus did with the IS200 and Tony used to set the cars very differently meaning most readings were red not green.

It's a similar story with the MX5. You have the standard settings but to get the most out of the car he could set them up for fast road and track us without compromising on tyre wear. It's all very interesting. The MX5 is one of a few cars that is completely adjustable so you could get it all in the 'green' but even they can run out of adjustment sometimes!

• Like 1