Yo I'm back............

Tony

Hi team, nice to see everyone has been busy.

I've just got back from what was a bitter-sweet cruise. We had three stops around Spain, Portugal and France. 

Vigo I've been to before "twice" and although they have only been short stops it is a really nice, sedate, ornamental place, But on leaving something really strange happened!!!

It was a really hot day.... About 27d, brilliant!.... Got back on ship about 6 and was at sea around 7. I was on deck 11 having a fag and then all of a sudden everything stopped?......

The ship stopped rocking. The air/ wind stopped, the waves went flat.... I looked out to sea but all the ship windows were white?.... Looking across deck i couldn't see the other side of the ship. A deluge of mist/ fog ( what's the difference ) had fallen and we were within minutes blind.. I actually went out and stood in the flood of mist/ fog but it wasn't wet? It wasn't cold and it left no evidence of moister on my clothes?

Sitting there thinking wow this is odd then the captain started sounding the fog horn. Now for those who haven't been on a cruise ship before I'm telling you these horns are the loudest you will every hear.

Blast after blast I'm thinking we are in trouble.... Elaine was in the cabin deck 8, so i dropped everything and rushed down to her saying "get out". don't ask why but get out and now!".......She complained because at the time she doing her hair!!!!!!!

Needless to say i dragged her up thinking if we are going to hit something i want to be on the top decks........ Fortunately we didn't.

Later I spoke to the staff asking "what" the hell was that?.... Seemingly given the time of year, moister in the air, the hot temp and the transition between day and night, high pressure pushed all the moister in the air down hence what they call a "fog bomb".

I've got some video on my phone and camera but no idea how to upload it so if anyone can help me there please do.

In truth the side we saw from Portugal and France was so unremarkable I didn't even take any pictures!!!

France was a "coach" trip to shore....... 3000 people including me, in the wind, waiting in a huge coach park for 45 min and then eventually 1 coach turned up?...... Remember we paid port taxes to deal with this in advance! Very poor organization.

Fact is Elaine and myself did have a really nice time. Re-established our relationship without the hindrance a normal life intrusions and I think we both feel refreshed.... And at the end of the day Isn't that what we all want?

Some pictures but not in any particular order......

IMG_1217.JPG.0b0c8b75052f9f7a06810e2eda494a92.JPG

IMG_1219.JPG.1f3f949c186eb2623c03aad28591ed37.JPG

IMG_1221.JPG.f946e2ee48b67750793539cdd1ae4f34.JPG

IMG_1224.JPG.6bbd8a7847d78c40a9cb8b46ff1ef39e.JPG

This is one of the buffet restaurants...... It has to be the worst named restaurant ever!!!!!! Don't the American builders know what a "wind jammer is"?........ Incidently the guy in the image is there to spray your hands with disinfectants.

IMG_1227.JPG.1a795621f1f603f7ff36c2f2c4967980.JPG

IMG_1242.JPG.c524ea872d04d772659f458c954f971a.JPG

IMG_1240.JPG.f8810d1dcacb838f0f93993e358caed4.JPG

IMG_1261.JPG.0042a3533d10caca26f5e6eec18d4ef7.JPG

IMG_1271.JPG.051d7ed27c6edbbf3dbc3961ce48cf87.JPG

IMG_1246.JPG.a751519fbc0b328624bc29cc52de444d.JPG

IMG_1228.JPG.24ef82cdd9d95e71cae62018bddaef39.JPG

Welcome back mate, it sounds like you had a good time overall. The fog bomb must've been unnerving.

Have you tried uploading the videos to YouTube? Or you can email them to me and I'll put them on.

• Like 1

Restricted visibility sound signals:-

One long blast every 2 minutes when underway ...

Fog, mist, falling snow, heavy rainstorms, sandstorms or any other similar causes can make conditions that hamper visibility. Sound signals for vessels in restricted visibility, whether underway, at anchor or aground, day or night, are the subject of Rule 35 (COLREGS). The bell and gong are added into the mix of whistle sounds used as options for restricted visibility signals. Rule 35 is fairly complex, and it is advised to have a highlighter in hand while reading through it.

The Rules of the Road state when underway ‘vessels shall sound at intervals of not more than two minutes’ the prescribed sound signal. Why a two minute rule? A requirement for all vessels is to maintain a proper look-out by sight and hearing. In restricted visibility, the two minutes allows the look-out to listen for sound signals from other vessels groping their way through the fog. COLREGS lists the following sound signals for vessels underway:

A power-driven vessel making way shall sound one prolonged blast.

A power-driven vessel underway but stopped shall sound two prolonged blasts.

And you're waiting for someone else's sound signal...

That from the "Regulations for the avoidance of collisions at sea" - normally call the "Collision Regs"!

Glad you had a good time,  coming back with a good family time.

Colin

ps - the fog horns from a lighthouse were louder - but they decided that they aren't needed nowadays

2 hours ago, Rich said:

Welcome back mate, it sounds like you had a good time overall. The fog bomb must've been unnerving.

Have you tried uploading the videos to YouTube? Or you can email them to me and I'll put them on.

Thanks.... I will.

1 hour ago, CP09 said:

Restricted visibility sound signals:-

One long blast every 2 minutes when underway ...

And you're waiting for someone else's sound signal...

That from the "Regulations for the avoidance of collisions at sea" - normally call the "Collision Regs"!

Glad you had a good time,  coming back with a good family time.

Colin

ps - the fog horns from a lighthouse were louder - but they decided that they aren't needed nowadays

It was one long blast every 2 minutes or there about. Being a sudden white-out and the horns was very unnerving plus never experiencing a "fog bomb" before made me feel afraid for my life...... The fact I went down for Elaine speaks volumes.