Alignment with kerbed allys?

Tucker

Sorry for the delay Tucker, I've been out of the UK but i think i did reply to your email........As Rich said our technology measures the wheels "run-out" and compressions. In the event there's an issue the machine shuts us down!.... It also has the ability to move past the wheels as an option and it uses targets on the brakes ( reflectors ) but again it has to approve the datum point.

Basically I paid loads of money so that the AI took human error or laziness away from our promise to do exactly what you are paying for. 

• Like 1

Hi Tony.  Superb! 

I'm finding my 5 grippier than I expected, even in the wet, so it'll be interesting to see what the geometry is currently.  Also the steering in annoyingly offset to the left slightly, a rel bugbear of mine!

What weekend slots do you have from November 2nd to 17th inclusive?

Our other car is an Octavia, which also needs an alignment this year.

The steering position is deemed cosmetic but boy it's so annoying if it's off-centre.....

The dates offered work for me but what sort of time are you thinking?..... As for the Octavia that's a very different challenge?...... Front and rear toe angles are adjustable but any front camber change involves moving the subframe!!! Historically the Octavia chassis is very good.....Put it this way I wouldn't make a living off the car.

1 hour ago, Tucker said:

'm finding my 5 grippier than I expected, even in the wet, so it'll be interesting to see what the geometry is currently. 

What year MX5 do you have?

I've got a 99 MK2 NB on Toyo tyres. They're superb in the dry but aren't great in the wet!

1 hour ago, Rich said:

What year MX5 do you have?

I've got a 99 MK2 NB on Toyo tyres. They're superb in the dry but aren't great in the wet!

It's a '12 Sport on original spec Potenza RE50s Rich.  I did brave turning off stability control in the downpours we had yesterday for some tail happy fun (my first in the 5) in the work car park.     

Thanks Tony.  Wife's terminally ill best friend finally passed away last night, so I can't commit until we have the funeral date.  It's in Somerset so will be a two day affair with travelling.  I'll let you know as soon as I know, but if another customer comes along then feel free to move me down the queue.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...

My first chance to drive the car aggressively in anything approaching 'normal' conditions came Saturday with my Cadwell Park trackday.   A damp greasy track dried out in places as the day went on, and the temperature was about 7-8°C.

Happy to report the car handled well, no nasty habits, neutral balance, happy trail braking into apexes, and just the occasional oversteer when being a bit too enthusiastic on damp corner exits.

Managed a fastest lap of 2:02, and the quickest I can find a standard MX-5 NC doing it in is 1:52.  Considering it was my first ever track day, and that the track was still damp in places, I could undoubtedly make up some time. 

Very happy with the alignment thus far.

In car video, quickest lap at 13:32

• Like 1

I've edited your post to show the vid., I hope you don't mind.....

Your track day looks absolutely excellent..... Cutting the corners and using the oversteer was flawless..... A key to your ability and the cars chassis positions is the activity on steady-state corners. The steering action needs to be minimal which it is looking at the video.. 

Some people might think why does steady-state action matter?.... Well it's condition of what i would call "harmony" meaning the chassis geometry and the driver's ability matches...... You're not fighting the car and the car is delivering your requests...... Well done :smile_anim:

Will do.

With the exception of my spotty teen years and trying to break 100mph (laughable now!), I've never been overly impressed with straight line speed; a breeze block on the accelerator pedal can drive quickly in a straight line!  It's always been about the corners for me.