Tyre pressure by wear

phipck

I’m sure I’ve asked this previously but cannot remember the advice nor find it on this forum, so:

having different tyres on the car from what originally came with the car and with the geometry in good shape I have noticed that the recommended pressures for the scenic leave very flat looking tyres that float about/ feel sloppy while driving. The wear is on the inner and outer edge uniformly suggesting to me that the pressure is low despite being at the manufactured recommended amount. Would it be reasonable to assume that the psi for these different tyres should then be higher to ensure even wear or am I introducing other issues into the mix?

I always find the manufacturers recommended pressures too low, and I up mine by a bit. Tyres always wear evenly for me, but I'm not sure what the wear would be if I stuck to OEM.

Currently running the Yeti at 3bar all round, and the Tiguan at 2.8bar. if you think they look sift and are wearing oddly then nothing to lose by upping them.

Interesting, I had upped the psi from the recommended 33/30 front/rear when I replaced the tyres because of my concerns, I’ve run about 36/32 psi from new but you are using around 40+psi and I dare say the recommended are around the same as mine at 32psi or 2.3 bar. 

I see some more experimentation going on. Clearly my tyres are fine with higher pressure, I may try pushing toward 40psi front and see how that feels. 

From observation aside from the wear the car is still wriggly on the tyres at this slightly higher pressure, if you give the car a good rock, the tyre seems to move way more freely than I would expect and this in my mind means the suspension isn’t as active and in tune as the tyres are more wobbly than oem. However expectation isn’t always the same as reality hence asking

They are Michelin Crossclimate and are load and speed rated as appropriate for the car. The previous owner had a different make on each corner with one being an entirely different size than the others too! Which is why I changed them soon after buying the car.

i hadDunlop winter sport 3ds on the Xsara before this car and had to up the psi 3-5 psi to maintain even wear but they felt like quite a soft compound. The Cross climates feel sturdier but this car is much heavier than the Xsara was

As said tyre pressure is unique to the owner...... Example I always have a full tank, you don't. You have three kids i don't. You drive on the motorway, i don't. Each example offers different tyre loading meaning your pressure and my pressure would definitely differ. 

I've always stuck with the recommended tyre pressures and never had an issue with uneven wear (since I found WIM). I did try adding a few more psi once out of curiousity and felt the steering was too light so dropped them again.