BUGATTI breaks through 300mph barrier...

Tony

In 1935 the world land speed record was taken beyond 300 mph. Sir Malcolm Campbell reached 301.13 mph in the Railton Rolls-Royce Bluebird on Daytona Beach. The engine was a 36.7 litre supercharged V12 generating 2269 hp.

Now that speed is exceeded and sustained in a road-legal sports car. I think that is impressive.

You have a valid point..... It's an extraordinary example of engineering to perfection, it's just it's goal seems pointless in the real world.

If they did 300mph in an electric car then there's a statement worthy for future evolution. Don't get me wrong I'm well impressed with what they have done but it just feels a little bit pointless.

One piece of contention is that although the media is whirling with Bugatti pushing this Chiron past 300, the media isn’t telling the whole story as it’s a lightly modified version of the Chiron not available to the public. Bugatti haven’t hidden the facts but the media have naively run away with things a little. As a feat of mastering speed they are not first, they are joining a club of a few 300mph modified production cars. 

There is yet to be a genuine production car straight off the shelf so to speak to perform this task, albeit a somewhat less than useful thing for a production car to be capable of!

• Like 1