Anybody heard about the new petrol labels - came in Sunday !!

SMARTLY

It'll actually be less confusing than at present. Currently there's no standard for fuel nozzle / pump labelling. Manufacturers and suppliers can pretty much use whatever colour they want for the nozzles, and generally it's green for unleaded petrol and black for diesel. But green is used for standard unleaded and also super unleaded and people fill up with high octane fuel by mistake all the time, while diesel is sometimes yellow but mostly black, and again the same colour is used for high cetane diesel with the same results.

• 1 month later...

Was there any indication of the ethanol/biodiesel content on the pumps before this? Unless things have changed recently, there is no requirement for ethanol in super unleaded petrol, and in most parts of the country it may still be ethanol free. (Running an "older" car in Cornwall, I know it isn't ethanol free here).

I'm a bit rusty on this subject now, but I think engine knock/pinking is more down to the octane rating and can be adjusted out by retarding the ignition slightly. As mentioned above, ethanol is known to rot older rubber fuel lines and seals. Most of mine have been replaced now, and I use an additive to combat the effects of ethanol in petrol, along with the absence of lead.