Tyre dates... Important information.....

Tony

Rich raised a question about cheap tyres online and tyre age? Is there a correlation between price and date.

Every tyre has a date of manufacture on it as seen below.

zzw30determine-age-of-tires-2.jpg.d1dd40f826bbb130871b3675988acdcd.jpg

Currently, in the UK the manufacturer has a build of duty that lasts for 6yrs. After that date the tyre use is deemed as "user beware".

Within the UK the wholesaler and retailer have no commitment to declare the tyres age although one of the largest fast-fit companies in the UK was sued and heavily fined for selling a tyre that was 12yld and failed resulting in serious injury.   

Plans are afoot within the EU to enforce tyre dating as part of an MOT, with a date window of 6yrs. Dubai for example has made it illegal to sell a tyre that's over 1yld. Personally i think that's a bit strong but at least they recognize the risk.

Unfortunately in the example of Dubai using a tyre over 6ysld is still allowed so the true risk still exists unless further enforcement is applied.

Ok some might think, so what's the problem.... Good question.

Tyres are subject to forces most other products don't. Centrifugal force, repetitive impact, perpetual pressure, heat, cold and composite degradation. They age but age in a none-redundant fashion meaning a "mature" tyre really is a ticking time bomb.

Many of the tyres we are asked to replace on the high end cars or "lookers" is simply due to their age. Sometimes the tyres look new. Would you drive a million pound car on 10yld tyres?

Moral is check the age of the tyre before buying. It will have some age but how much. Be wise the date mark is only on one side of the tyre. I find this really odd because all other details are on both sides, like size and make so why not the DOM?

I hope this helps peeps.......

• Like 1

Thanks for the thread Tony :)

I remembered that when I bought the winter tyres for the Lexus from Oponeo I questioned the tyre dates. That wasn't connected to the price but they fact I knew the tyre was being discontinued and it was probably old stock.

They said they don't hold the information on tyre dates but never sell them over 3 years old. When they arrived they were over 2 years old but I was ok with that. 

I didn't know about the MOT thing, I hope that doesn't get passed as our cars don't do much mileage. I always check them though and would replace if they were cracking from age. After all they are the only thing keeping you on the road!

18 hours ago, SMARTLY said:

Yes, but if it gets agreed then tyre change evry six years :(

Modern tyres because of modern cars abilities are not designed for mileage so few would last six years anyway.

I agree some people would lose out if the DOM was applied to the MOT but remember lack of mileage and age is a bad thing because the pressure and degradation still applies..... I know that because it happened to me..

This is the front tyre from my car

zxzxzIMG_1154.JPG.ed1508354032a1b4b923f1cad75bc322.JPG.77537a393f6a8ec05c923d64b03e603c.JPG

MR2/ Ferrari replica, low mileage and little weight...... Would i knowingly drive on this tyre "no", would or should it fail an MOT? Currently, that tyre is an MOT pass :o

If the internal structure isn't visible then they must pass the tyre although they can apply an advisory.

A six-year date doesn't seem so unfair if you think about the age of tyres on things like trailers, or caravans because these vehicles are rarely used meaning the tyres could last 30yrs...... Although on reflection trailers which can be used to move heavy goods don't even have an MOT.... Isn't that odd!!

When I had my Morris Minor, I contacted Dunlop regarding the age of the tyres.

Back in last century, they only used a 2 digit code, so they could tell me that they were 10, 20 or 30 years' old, but not which...

They looked OK, but the tread had hardened to the point that I could do Doughnuts quite easily on damp roads. They didn't lask.  The Nankings I tried weren't much better, but the Kuhmos were OK...

And yes, I was using radials, not the crossply (the Insurers didn't seem upset!).

Colin

So if you buy a new tyre from a tyre shop how old would you expect it to be? A neighbour had to buy one this week for MOT failure and I've looked at it today and it was made in 2015 - so already 4 years old :(

This is the issue.... There is no legal or moral commitment to declare the tyres DOM but the manufacture will only guarantee the tyres build from the tyres marked date.

It's like buying a TV which goes wrong only to find out there's no guarantee because PcWold had it in stock for three years. It's wrong and unlike Tv's tyres kill if they fail so how come us the consumer put up with this blatant blind eye.

Point to note BB's window is one year unless it's a classic tyre for a classic car and then the customer is made aware.

Maybe this is something BB could try and make more aware to customers and the general public. Even posters or leaflets at the centre explaining the dates on tyres and that they won't supply them over 1 year old.