MX5 Mk1 settings

JMLMX5

Hi all, 5 years after getting some good advice from  Tony, I'm back.

Due to too many new speed bumps locally I've had to raise my ride height a bit so looking for some  new alignment settings

Ride height is now 320mm front  340mm rear, on Konis.(threaded perches)

The change has thrown the alignment  out at the back (one side is now almost verging  on positive camber   :blink: )the other is still  negative

Bushes are all rubber OEM in good condition.

Looking for suggestions for fast road settings 

Cheers

Jim

Welcome back :)

I'm a bit concerned the rear is near positive camber?..... What is the other side like?..... Also before did you get the fast-road set-up... If yes then the camber has gone from -1 degree 50' to the current positive position and that's one heck of a move.

• 1 month later...

OK, I'm back  (been in China for work (real life getting in the way of important car stuff) 

After a couple of runs to settle it down  and a proper look,  both sides are still negative camber, so after some new setting for the new ride height.

Place near me has spent big on a Hunter Hawkeye, so hoping they'll be able to set it up for me if I give them settings, but need to have a chat with them first..

cheers

Jim

Hi Tony, yes negative camber (by eye)  at both sides on the back.

Steering wheel is not quite level when driving straight ( but it wasn't before I changed the height either...)

Steering does feel very  slightly more vague around  the straight ahead position ( i assume to the the effect of the the height change on the alignment )

On the positive  side, I haven't  grounded on any speed bumps since I raised it. :)

That's good news if the rear camber is negative......

My fast-road settings at your ride height would be.....

Rear

Camber: -1 degree 50'

Toe: +8' each side

Front

Camber: -50'

Castor: +5 degrees 30'

Toe: + 8' per side

These settings are borderline understeer which you would generally want when driving fast on the twisty's but if you want a more lively drive then lower the front camber to -1 degree 30'. 

More castor would be fine but you lose some by lowering the camber. Anything under 4 degrees 30' will make the steering very sensitive.