Write offs not being recorded on HPI's

I just caught a segment on a show called rip-off Britain and it was about cars that have been written off being repaired and sold. They are getting away with it cos there is no legal obligation for the database that records write offs to be updated, all of the HPI companies use this one database. The DVLA has them recorded as the insurance companies have to tell them, there was a difference of 80,000 cars!! :o

People have been buying cars that develop faults then finding out they've been written off just weeks before. Some have very bad accident damage and should not be back on the road. Someone went undercover to several car dealers and asked if they were written off, which they said no the paperwork is clean. But they did their own checks and found signs of them being repaired which they argue the dealers mechanics should have spotted. Especially when they do '100+' safety checks and an MOT before selling the cars on.

You can understand private sellers being none the wiser but how honest are these car dealers being. Have they actually spotted the repairs and decided to sell it anyway or are they genuinely missing them. Considering the show found the same cars being sold for salvage so easily makes you think why aren't the dealers doing this kind of research too.

They did mention that one person had the V5 with it saying the vehicle has been recorded as salvage but how many people actually read that bit on the bottom of the document. Especially when you've done a HPI check and that's clear or the dealer has said it is. I have always checked the personal details when I receive a V5 but I admit I have only scanned the front before!

If you've run an hpi check yourself then their guarantee covers you if it subsequently transpired it's been written off. I always run my own hpi check on any car I buy, despite many saying if you buy from a dealer then you can claim against them.

I watched this too. 

To spell it out an HPI check will not show these cars although some may later get their details recorded. DVLA said there were 80,000 cars a year not having the details recorded by the insurance companies on the Motor Insurers Anti-Fraud and Theft Register (MIAFTR) database. The V5C will show it if the seller has it to show you and it has been updated since the accident. Note. a private seller doesn't have to declare a car has been written off.

With regards to the guarantee the quotes one example with the RAC HPI check who refused to payout as they said it was the buyers responsibility to check the V5C.

This needs to get escalated so more people are aware of the dangers of buying a car that not only may have been written off but also is probably worth far les that they are paying for it and may never be able to sell it at any price. Also, the government ( if they are the ones who can make it happen ) must make it mandatory for insurers to record these cars on the MIAFTR within a short period period of time i.e. maybe 7 days from when they are repaired, or 7 days of when they have been MOT'd after the repair ( I think even newish cars have to go through an MOT test after a write-off repair before they can go back on the road ).

Whatever is done and by who to rectify this situation the buyer must be indemnified.