Tyre keeps losing pressure but not going flat

Rich

A rear tyre on the X1 (not runflats) keeps going down from 32 to 27psi, it doesn't seem to go lower than that.

I increase the pressure and it'll be fine for a couple of days staying where it should be, then it starts dropping. The pressure sensors give a warning in the car and checking with a guage it's definitely gone down.

I'm certain there is no puncture so could air be escaping from the valve or is it faulty? Why doesn't it go lower than 27psi?

The last 10k miles have been fine, this started a few weeks a go.

It's a lease car though and tyres/issues are covered by the terms but I'd need to use kwikfit!

I really don't want to and they end up making it worse or do something else to the car and I end up wasting loads of time going back and forwards. If I can get an idea first of what it could be then I might take it to WIM.

I thought I'd take the wheel off first and check it off the car. I had already looked for screws with it on the car. I couldn't find anything until I went to put the wheel back on and this caught my hand coming out of the sidewall! It's smaller than it looks in the photo.

So I've booked a replacement with kwikfit for Saturday. Only downside is they'll only replace that one side as the other has 6mm of tread left and it'll probably be a different brand. Hopefully it doesn't upset the handling.

IMG_20190425_134250-1170x2080.thumb.jpg.24c9660344e99d725c910da280e6e565.jpg

I pulled it out as I decided to put the space saver on and it's half a staple! No water was bubbling when I sprayed the area but when I put the staple back in a bit of air escaped so I reckon it's only just gone through and caused a slow leak.

I wouldn't of thought a staple could puncture a tyre but obviously it can. I just hope I don't turn up at Kwikfit and they say we can repair that!

For years I never got any punctures but in the last 5 I've had a handful now! :banghead:

Wow they must be tough!!

We went to Kwikfit, they removed the old tyre and then realised they'd ordered the wrong replacement, a Michelin instead of a Bridgestone. They weren't authorised to fit the different brand.

Took the rim home and phoned them instead. They came to the house yesterday evening and fitted it so all sorted.

Interesting jacks they use. It looked like a small device that was inflated with a compressor to raise the car.