How's this even possible?.....

Tony

I'd guess that the tanker is sub-divided ito smaller tanks - you'll need some baffles in it anyway (just think of the handling if 5000 l of anything started to slosh around!)

All you need to do is to empty the sub-tanks in the wrong order - though why there's no tractor unit is a good question...

If it's real I can't work out why.

All the baffles have holes in to prevent any imbalance like a fire tender. They are large holes, not particulate size that would get clogged up.

If it was a fluid that did that it would need to be very heavy (assuming the large holes did manage to get blocked or for some crazy reason it was engineered that way). If not, the fluid would level out and looking at the pivot point which is the stand legs, even Mercury would have a job I'd say.

They're not baffles, the tanker is made up of different pots to carry dirrerent fluids (kerosene, derv, petrol etc.) and have no passage between them. The picture above is not what I'd expect to show with holes in them. If you look underneath the tank you can see the different outlet connections for each pot to deliver individual products.

Yes they are but very simplified. They use the fluid against itself, similar to some new coastal protection methods. I've physically been inside when I used to work at Shell in Stanlow. (Essar own it now). I've never seen more than two fluids so a single separator as above but believe there are models with 3 now. I guess it's possible for more but I saw a fair few daily as I inspected the sensors. They all have baffles though.

Not all of them are outlets for separate fuels, some are doubled up. You also have vapour recovery (not vents, they are separate) per outlet.

It may be different for grain, etc.

If a [fluid] tanker didn't have baffles, can you imagine trying to control that with the full fluid motion across the length of its container or the forces if it was in an accident? also, when it braked and accelerated it would cause too much damage to the tractor coupling. That's why the baffles flow the fluid against itself. It's bad enough in a fire engine and they have relatively small tanks in comparison but have baffles because of this too.

One of the lads says all the 38000 ltr tankers that come in are 5 pot units  carrying kerosene, derv, gas oil, ultra 35, and unleaded in varying quantities. There are some single pot tankers but they get used for mainly moving fuel from refinery's to bulk storage, not delivering to depots and fuel stations etc. due to needing different fuels on the same delivery. Very unusual to have a single pot tanker delivering to a fuel station, but given the picture is in the USA then it's possible.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Abm7o3IwsQgJ:https://www.cbs46.com/news/fuel-tanker-tips-forward-at-gas-station-in-pike-county/article_9386568b-1807-5b0f-94e3-bf9cf80ba94e.html+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=firefox-b-d

Thats the article. Have had to go for the google cache version as, due to being in the UK,  we can't access the CBS website due to GDPR.

Not sure they really understand how it works, but hey.

A bit like a lever, the legs were the point of rotation, the weight was all above the legs and ahead of it, and overcame the weight of the axles and the rest of the trailer. Fuel is heavier than the air in the back half of the trailer, gravity has no mercy, and that happens.

I get that i think... But don't the shoes adapt for uneven ground, which i wouldn't expect at a fuel station.... I think there must have been an issue with the baffles as mentioned earlier. Nevertheless, it's a horrible fail whatever the blame. 

The shoes do nothing other than spread the weight? 

Take a long ruler or plank of wood, put a brick under it at one end (rear wheels) and then about 30% in from the other end (legs). Then, stand on the short end. The whole plank will rotate around the front "legs". 

The fuel baffles work to stop the liquid sloshing in transit. Here it is stationary, so they won't do anything. The full fuel tanks in the trailer were at the front. As the cab pulls out the weight is too far forward, so the trailer rotates.