300+bhp Abarth setup

Ar64rth

Hi team,

I want the best setup for handling and traction for fast road/hill climb/odd track day.

Quite a few people in the Abarth community have suggested to me that I have negative rear camber.

Since my rear axle has bent it needs changing so now is the time for camber if I wanted.

what are your thoughts?

310ftlb by 3500rpm

310bhp by 6100rpm

Where is the rubbing......Front on a lock?

I assume the car has been lowered? If yes then normally the front gains camber but the rear doesn't. In this case you'll need EZ camber bolts at the rear which allow the camber to be adjusted.

• Thanks 1

Joe measured up with the hunter:

Camber rear

left -0.55

right -1.06 (axle bent)

camber front

Left -1.58

Right -1.53

i don’t think I get rubbing at the moment, maybe ever so slightly at full lock on fronts.

I think joe was planning to put in camber bolts on front. But not run camber on rears. 

There are a few Abarth owners running -1.5 camber on rear with camber plates, since joe is going to replace most of the rear for me I thought it may be worth while chucking in some camber plates for rears because now is the time to do it.

Having thought about it I may get rubbing on rear, I’m not 100% sure. But is it worth it for the handling?

Ah yours is the one we currently have at the centre.... The rear camber being around -1 degree is very close to where you need it but the toe angle is tragic. If it's been like that since you've owned it then you haven't really driven it in a condition to access the true handling...

• Thanks 1

I think it was a Thames water manhole cover I didn’t see in time, it destroyed my passenger wheel which I got replaced but it never handled the same since, as we discovered the toe is well out!

whats your opinion? Camber on rear worth while? -1.5 degree?

I would leave the rear camber at -1 degree. Reason being the rear is too light so more camber will reduce the tyres contact patch. On a heavy car 1.5, 2.0 degrees will push the contact patch rather than reduce it.

For you we need to increase the front camber to around -2d 10, to -2d 30 but in doing so the toe angle will change which is expected providing when corrected it doesn't increase the castor?

For short track, hill, time trials we want a low castor which will greatly increase the turn in.... But the delicate line is a low castor position is not good for high speed track days..... I'll give you an example, in reverse there is no castor and i think we can all agree the steering is very twitchy.

Good and confident which means little or nothing worries him... Reads a bit cocky but it's not because something new comes to us every day so looking outside of the box it's critical..... Not forgetting normally we have one chance to solve the problem simply because of the distance people travel.

Just an update, car seemed much more stable, though in national speed limit roads feels a little wobbly at times (very very slight corrections on the steering wheel required at times), not sure if that’s aerodynamics or car following the road. But something that I could put up with.

Feels excellent through bends and overall car gives more confidence to me. Was pleasantly surprised especially on S bends local to me how well it copes. From the sheet it seemed like I’m running less camber that previous on fronts.

front Left and right pretty much -1.06 to -1.08

rear camber -1 on left and -0.5 right 

Front camber reads a bit light to me but i need to see the geometry report to establish where the castor is before i commit.... Needless to say i think i will need you back to fine-tune the chassis positions..... Cost to you is £0 other than your time.

On 31/03/2019 at 11:39, Tony said:

Front camber reads a bit light to me but i need to see the geometry report to establish where the castor is before i commit.... Needless to say i think i will need you back to fine-tune the chassis positions..... Cost to you is £0 other than your time.

The rear camber readings for the rear in the most recent post the nunbers its on now or before? I readabout a bent axle hence i ask and wondered if the rear axle wasnt inline properly? Had this with my a3 1.8t...

There was very very slight adjustment side to side.. Looked like it was set there from factory

They are from before..... In addition, the rear toe was  0.03' left and 1 degree 19' right. Had the left side mirrored the right in the opposite direction then the beam must have moved but since the right values were confined then the beam must be bent.... And it was.

After they fitted a new beam the rear toe was 0.03 left and 0.32 right. The 32' isn't perfect being just outside of the tolerance but the repair would require a jig and that's assuming the position wasn't a build issue?

Joe has set the chassis natural which is what i would have done because the none-adjustable castor positions are high and healthy. Subject to the owner's approval we might need to add another half a degree of front camber, but we then would be surfing sacrificial tyre and bearing wear. 

Thanks Tony. I don’t mind additional camber, anything that can be tweaked to improve my driving experience, I’m up for it! Please let me know a good time to bring the car to you. Don’t mind the tyre wear so much, I will be getting through them quickly.

On 03/04/2019 at 10:56, Tony said:

They are from before..... In addition, the rear toe was  0.03' left and 1 degree 19' right. Had the left side mirrored the right in the opposite direction then the beam must have moved but since the right values were confined then the beam must be bent.... And it was.

After they fitted a new beam the rear toe was 0.03 left and 0.32 right. The 32' isn't perfect being just outside of the tolerance but the repair would require a jig and that's assuming the position wasn't a build issue?

Joe has set the chassis natural which is what i would have done because the none-adjustable castor positions are high and healthy. Subject to the owner's approval we might need to add another half a degree of front camber, but we then would be surfing sacrificial tyre and bearing wear. 

Ahhh i see.... So possibly twisted at the beam mounting to the rear left then?