Anyone used a ceramic coating on your car?......

Tony

I used TAC moonlight on the BMW if you look . I used CQUK on the Skoda when I got it but it wasn't especially good ..so far I'm more impressed with the moonlight but these products do take a far amount of prep to apply correctly.  

I've not used ceramic coatings yet but like liner said you need to be very thorough with the prep. De-iron, de-tar, clay and polish to get the best from the product. You would also benefit from applying it at the centre under cover than out in the open.

You'd probably be better with something that's easier to apply like C2.

https://gtechniq.com/products/auto/perfect/exterior/paint/c2-liquid-crystal#content

I didn't realise you'd got a different one to the video, I thought you got the C.Quartz. I've never heard of the brand you've got and it seems to be made in China!! Reviews seem abit hit and miss but if you don't apply it correctly it will be difficult to remove.

What's the buffer you got? I'm assuming it's just a cheap one and not like a rotary or dual action polisher? That will only be good for buffing wax off and won't be any good as a polisher. The coating you just wipe on with a cloth and wipe the excess off with another.

This is the one i bought

zzzxs-l1600.thumb.jpg.67be35bb296a1b91e4cdb1b3d7e3ccf7.jpg

This product is a drop of crystal, you can wipe most areas of the car. Therefore, small bottles can use many areas.
Here are some ways to use this product, I hope to help you.

Can be used in fiberglass and plastic
Specification:
Type: Car liquid ceramic coat
Material: Polysiloxane and other Nano materials etc
Hardness: 9H hardness
Durability: 3-5 years
Coating Thickness: 30um
Gloss: Excellent high gloss effect, shiny as mirror
Anti-corrosion: PH tolerance: PH2-12
Heat Resistance: Up to 760 degree
Consumption: 30ML
Bottle Size: As the picture
How to applying:
Wrap the cloth over coating sponge
Put coat liquid on the cloth
Spread the liquid on the car
Use towel to wipe and polish
Package Included:
1 x Car Liquid Ceramic Coat

Electroplating construction method

1 First clean and polish, you can choose mirror polishing to polish the paint surface, and dry the paint surface.

2. Divide the paint surface into small pieces. Usually, the head cover is divided into 2 small pieces for construction. Wrap the sponge with a cloth, apply a few drops of plating on the cloth, and then apply it back and forth for 3-4 minutes. There will be rainbow colors on the paint surface, and more than one plating crystal can be wiped off by pressing the hand.

3. It is generally recommended to contact the water after 24 hours and not to wash the car for 6 days.

The main components of the product: inorganic silicone resin, polyoxyalkylene, non-flammable liquid and other materials, raw materials are imported
And this buffer
zxzxs-l1600.thumb.jpg.8c0bf9a425dc88883b04a48c28194a58.jpg

Overall soft rubber injection feels very comfortable.

Inside rechargeable power battery, easy and convenient.

Moderate RPM, to avoid water splashing.

Ergonomic soft handle to protect hands and car (and sofa).

Changeable brushes suit different requirements.

Contains car cleaning brush, waxing brush and polishing brush.

Designed to effortlessly polish and buff your car and sofa.

Feature:

Color:  Blue

Material:  TPE

Rotating Speed:  180~220 rpm

Working battery: 1300mAh Li-ion

Voltage: DC 3.6V

Charging Time: 6.5~8.5h

Rated Power: 4W

Run time:1-3hours

Size:24.5*10*6.5cm

A set with 3 interchangeable brushes for car cleaing,waxing and polishing

Package Contents:

1 * Electric Car Polisher
1 * Battery Charger (UK Plug)
1 * Li-ion Battery(Rechargeable)
1 * Cleaning Brush
1 * Brush Device
1 * Polishing Brush

Got to love Chinese to English translations! :lol:

You'll have to let us know how you get on with it.

I wouldn't expect much from that buffer, what are you planning on using it for? It's got 180-220rpm which isn't much power. To give you an idea mine is 800-3500rpm which is much better for correcting and polishing.

13 hours ago, Tony said:

I did know that but remember the car is fibreglass so i can't let it get too hot.

It would only cause damage if you hold it in one spot and let the heat build up or use it at too high a speed.

Considering how much you've spent on the car I'm surprised you're scrimping on this by buying cheap products. Just be careful as some reviews have said it made a mess of the paint and they couldn't remove it. Maybe try a test area first that's not in an obvious place.

I fail to see how it could make a mess considering the speed?...... Thing is I'm in no rush detailing so the speed is irrelevant to me. But yes i agree i need to test an area given both the coating and buffer are new to me.

(As usual) I think you are making life really hard for yourself . Ceramic coatings are tricky its not like normal detailing and even someone with a fair bit of experience (Dare I say like me) shy's away from them you can easily get it wrong and either waste your time or make a great deal of work for yourself 

There is a ton of rubbish written about them also, they are simply the flavour of the month, they dont make the car look better they are simply more resistant to wear and tear , on a car that gets less use I would suggest there are far better products if you actually want it to look its best 

For a beginner you could get stunning results with a polisher and some 

https://dodojuice.net/products/lime-prime-cleaner-polish followed but a decent wax , if you want something to last ages then https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/fusso-coat-dark-200g or https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/finishkare-1000p-hi-temp-sealant

Big bag of the kirkland microfibres from Amazon and you will be on your way https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kirkland-Signature-713160-Microfiber-Towels/dp/B00GARQKII/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1553512663&sr=8-3&keywords=kirkland+microfibre+cloths

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tony said:

I fail to see how it could make a mess considering the speed?...... Thing is I'm in no rush detailing so the speed is irrelevant to me. But yes i agree i need to test an area given both the coating and buffer are new to me.

I was referring to the coating, don't apply it properly and you're making a lot of extra work for yourself like liner said. You can't use the buffer with it so I'm interested to know what you are hoping to achieve with it?

Before jumping the gun and buying things based on the advertising why not ask on here first for advice. After all, that is what a forum is for and it'll save you wasting your money and time :)

Learning curve and impulse comes to mind.....

Feeling like I'm doing the right thing is subject to approval, historically I learn which isn't the best way I agree....

Fact is Lynne was my "wage finger" but since she died i try to implement things my way... Agreed it's not perfect, even comical to some but i only have myself to question.

• 1 month later...

I can vouch for Gyeon ceramic coatings. The finish isnt anything special but cleaning the car with a well applied coating is much easier and it comes back to a showroom look with less effort.

These days when i wash the car and throw on Gyeon Wetcoat all over the body and wheels and thats it. If i did have another ceramic coating i'd get someone to do it for me and prep the surface fully ahead of application - this all takes time - something i am short on!

I think you can get a good result but i would test your process and then work panel by panel around the car. I think the biggest mistake people do with this is start too much at once!

I'm considering trying out some Soft99 wax from japan and go that way. Supposedly excelllent durability and beads up really well.