Long term maintenance

Sagitar

We have a lot of Georgian buildings in the centre of Ampthill. I'm no expert on them, but I guess they must be more than two hundred years old. They obviously need careful maintenance and some elaborate scaffolding has been set up recently on this one to do some chimney repairs.

20190215TownWalk10.jpg.7f03d4de4665505beeb6bd10e9d977e3.jpg

Edited by Sagitar
correction

Thanks Tony. I'm not sure that you can relate it to the size of people. Some of the porches on the Georgian houses are very large and include a fanlight over the door to let light into the space behind the door. I'm also not sure about the comparative size of the actual doors on the two houses in the picture. Next time I walk in that direction I'll try to get a couple of pics that make comparison easier.

Did you notice the gateway behind the lamp-post on the right side of the picture? It's very tall, because it was made to allow a coach and horses through. Lots of the houses (and the pubs) have a tall gateway that opens into a yard.

But it's only an average Tony, there are plenty of blokes who are 5' nothing and plenty who are over 6' in height. I believe the smaller doors were due to floor levels when the properties were built rather than the occupants height.