VW Tiguan.

Viking

As said elsewhere, been a bit lax in updating cars recently so here's the latest one.

tig.png

It's not mine (although I get to pay for tyres, upkeep, servicing, tax, insurance, and anything else which it needs, oh and diesel, I have to keep it clean, and I have to fine tune it to her specific requirements like a certain style of numberplate etc. And I had to pay for it) but it belongs to the wife I guess. Went down to Berkshire on Sunday to collect it based on pictures, email descriptions, and deposit paid prior to doing so, and traded to Octavia vRS. I got a good price for part ex and the price for the Tiguan was very good, so really it was a no brainer. I was literally about to pay a deposit on one from a VW dealer in Cambridge on Friday when I had one last search on Autotrader, and this one had just appeared without any pics, so I held off til I'd spoken to them. So glad I did, as the Cambridge one was Nimbus grey rather than white (the wifes preferred choice) and this also has a better spec and 6 months younger. And it was a grand cheaper too.

So, it's Tiguan R Line Edition which is the last of the Mk1 run. Heated leather, sat nav, and other standard R Line stuff, but options include keyless, folding mirrors, App Connect, spare wheel rather than compressor and glue, hidden deployable tow bar, lane assist, 19" wheels rather than 18", cruise control, most of which weren't listed on the advert so happy to find that lot when I got there.

Since then I've added/enabled High Beam Assist (automatically dips the headlights when another car approaches), large digital speedo in the display, and a couple of other insignificant tweaks.

When I went to collect it I stuck my diagnostics laptop on it and it came up with a headlight fault. The motors for the self leveling were not functioning correctly. I was a little annoyed at this but he immediately asked if I was happy to get it repaired at my end and he'd cover the cost. Given we drove 5 hours to collect it there really was no other way I guess other than come home without it, so we agreed that would be fine. One other issue was a speed related steering wheel wobble at 70+mph on the motorway which we didn't pick up on the test drive.

So, another 5 hours drive back home with a stop for a horrendouis Burger King scabby horrible motorway services meal, and we were back home on the drive. Immediately we set about looking for the lighting fault and it was a simple fix. The option called "Travel Mode" had been selected in the dash display which essentially flattens the beam for driving abroad, so I deselected this and the fault cleared. I also ran the car up to my mate who took the wheels off and balanced them for me which sorted the wheel wobble. They were incorrectly balanced (missing 15g and 10g respectively) and they'd used hammer on weights on the inside lip only rather than correctly balancing them on both sides with stick on weights. Cost me £12.

Everything is now as she wants it I guess (with the exception of her personalised plate which will need to wait til the V5 arrives).

On 06/02/2019 at 10:46, NickT said:

Are you liking the look of the Tiguan or the mum?

I'm at the age now where if there's an attractive lady in a sports car, I'm more interested in the car. ..

:lol: Probably both!

22 hours ago, Viking said:

Just looking to retrofit memory seat to the driver's side. Then it'll be perfect I think.

Good idea, is it much work?

If I could go back and get another CT200 with electric memory seats I would. The position the missus has it in is so uncomfortable for me. But if I move it she moans! Yet in the BMW I just have to slide it back and it's fine in the position she leaves it.

Unfortunately yes, it's a fair bit of either work or expense. New underseat wiring loom, new memory controller, new setting buttons, new adjustment buttons, and a fair bit of arsing about. Easier way would be buy a memory seat and rip the required parts out of that, but as memory seats weren't an option in the Tiguan then there's no donor seats available. It would mean buying seats from a different model (say a Golf) and hoping the cars systems were compatible. A leap of faith so to speak.

Either way it's going to be a couple of hundred quid and a lot of messing about or wait til someone in an english speaking forum has done it. There's a Russian guy who's done it and documented the procedure but Google Translate is a bit hit and miss to be honest. And it could be that the part numbers he's quoting are for left hand drive cars and may be different.

• 1 year later...