MR2 Roadster - Geo Queries

Chips4Tea

Hi 

I'm trying to get my MR2 roadster dialled in, and have spent many hours learning about geo on this forum, so thanks for all the advice so far!

Once I've resolve my hardware queries (thread in the suspension forum), I'd like a full geo, optimised for 'fast road' rather than track, as I only do one or 2 days a year, and none in this car yet.

I haven't been able to locate any custom geo settings for my car which is surprising. Does anyone have any experience of the geo on these little MR2 Roadsters? I do have camber plates fitted and I think there is a reasonable amount of adjustment available everywhere.

I'll certainly be paying you a visit in the near future Tony, but I'd be interesting to hear of any recommendations or peculiarities for this model regardless!

Thanks!

I've done many an MR2, heck i own one myself :D

You may have noticed there are very few actual settings here? There are good reasons for this, one being it depends on the car and it's mods, two it depends on the intention ( road, race, drift, hill ) and so on and three it depends on the human which in truth is the hardest to calibrate.

The MR2 has particular needs because it's so light up front. Adjustable tie-rods/ control-rods are a blessing otherwise additional camber needs to be used but there is a limit because there's a point where more camber reduces the tyres contact patch.

Thanks for the prompt response, it's reassuring you had your own Tony. I had a few NA MX5s and I much prefer the MR2 from a fun perspective.

My kicks are  from road and occasional track work, but I definitely don't want to compromise road manners. 

Yes the lack weight up front is mad, even not having the spare wheel in the front makes a noticeable difference. With this in mind should the front dampers be softer than the rears rather than the opposite?

I've got adjustable drop links and ARBs, but I'm hoping I don't need to invest in any other arms etc as I've just had all mine zinc dipped, powdercoated and polybushed! Fortunately I'm not Walter Rohl so I'm sure with your expertise it'll be quite adequate for my needs. 

I think once I've done a bit of sprucing up underneath I'll bring it down to you Tony to work your magic.

My MR2 is wearing a bit of a dress

zzz360post-2-0-77269200-1500902126.jpg.ec4f517768f968e64eb8fd634da1d874.jpg

Point to note with the damper clicks is this doesn't translate into effect?... The valving front and rear is different meaning 2 clicks more at the front isn't 20% more powerful so to speak.

To add complexity " polybushed " has an immediate effect on the geometry settings?...... The front and rear toe for example are compliance angles that assume a level of compression. Take this compression away then the settings are no longer required, or at least not all of it.